Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to boycott the Sun Newspaper on Campus

Options
  • 03-03-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,

We have arranged an online petition to boycott the Sun Newspaper for their treatment of one student who embodied the positive nature of Charity week and raised a lot of money. I'm not going to link the article here but it's on the website if you need proof.
    We will be bringing the motion to the UGM in Week 8 to try to prohibit the sale of the Newspaper on Campus.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-boycott-the-sun-newspaper-on/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

signed, the sun are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have arranged an online petition to boycott the Sun Newspaper for their treatment of one student who embodied the positive nature of Charity week and raised a lot of money. I'm not going to link the article here but it's on the website if you need proof.
    We will be bringing the motion to the UGM in Week 8 to try to prohibit the sale of the Newspaper on Campus.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4161537/Rag-week-students-go-starkers.html
    I don't see your problem. The article said he took part in RAG week which it true. Also said that he had nothing to do with the damages. You can't complain about using his picture if you post it online. You do know there is a difference between a boycott and a ban right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I agree with Jester - the Sun didn't do anything wrong ...if anything it raises awareness of the charity raising.

although I disagree with the "You can't complain about using his picture if you post it online" .... there is a legal issue here which I wont go into and its something I'm working on trying to fix in the next year or two ...or three (takes a bit of time to effect law changes)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4161537/Rag-week-students-go-starkers.html
    I don't see your problem. The article said he took part in RAG week which it true. Also said that he had nothing to do with the damages. You can't complain about using his picture if you post it online. You do know there is a difference between a boycott and a ban right?

The problem, is that they completely ignore the fact that this student was raising money for charity by doing this. They say "peeling off during Limerick's rag week". Apart from completely ignoring that it was part a charity event, they also misrepresent the college. We do not have a RAG Week. We have a Charity Week. It's lazy, misleading journalism. It makes it sound as if this student was drunk and just stripped off for the laugh.

But, this is the Sun, so I suppose to expect balance is a little naive.

Petition signed. Anything to hurt that rag's (pun not intended...) sales.

Also, there isn't much of a difference between a ban and boycott Jester, I thought Nestlé was boycotted by the SU and couldn't be sold in the shop in the past? If the SU boycotts the Sun, by extension the shop boycotts it.

EDIT: PCPhoto... really? How did that article in any way raise awareness that this was for Charity? An ill-informed reader would have no idea that it was for Charity, and would just think it was all a drunken laugh.

First of all the article says that he is taken part in rag week which is true. Also can the SU stop the book shop from selling the paper as it is a private company who rents the unit from PCC.
    The photo will fall under fair use. Facebook doesn't own the photo but it can do what it whats until the photo everything the photo was in is deleted. To boycott something would be not buying it as in the ULSU shop did but a ban would make it an offence to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

First of all the article says that he is taken part in rag week which is true.

Wrong. He was taking part in Charity Week. UL doesn't have a RAG week.
    Also can the SU stop the book shop from selling the paper as it is a private company who rents the unit from PCC.
    The photo will fall under fair use. Facebook doesn't own the photo but it can do what it whats until the photo everything the photo was in is deleted. To boycott something would be not buying it as in the ULSU shop did but a ban would make it an offence to sell it.

No they can't, but the petition is aimed at Mahony's Booksellers as well. They will be under no obligation to abide by it.
    And it would be a boycott, not a ban.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Wrong. He was taking part in Charity Week. UL doesn't have a RAG week.
    SSDD If that is your main problem try a broadsheet. They do their research. They would have named him/his course and his hometown.
    If people are upset due to the use of him as the poster child for Charity Week I dont get it is the image of someone getting involved in it instesd of drinking not what they what?
    If it is because it might make him look bad. Then explain how a 5min article that was made to jump on the bandwagon of the stident bitch will have more damage then the photos on the ents page or ul rag that name him are still up?
    No they can't, but the petition is aimed at Mahony's Booksellers as well. They will be under no obligation to abide by it.
    And it would be a boycott, not a ban.
    It would be a ban as OMahonys will still be buying it for their other shop

SSDD If that is your main problem try a broadsheet. They do their research. They would have named him/his course and his hometown.
    If people are upset due to the use of him as the poster child for Charity Week I dont get it is the image of someone getting involved in it instesd of drinking not what they what?

So because it's a tabloid it's OK that they didn't do any research? It's OK that using the picture and the example of this student in particular serves no other purpose than to further link Charity Week with alcohol abuse? Frankly that's an idiotic stance to take imo.

If they had said that he was taking part in a Nearly Naked Mile, then there'd be no problem here. But they didn't.

And it would be a boycott on the UL Campus as the petition states.

So because it's a tabloid it's OK that they didn't do any research? It's OK that using the picture and the example of this student in particular serves no other purpose than to further link Charity Week with alcohol abuse? Frankly that's an idiotic stance to take imo.

If they had said that he was taking part in a Nearly Naked Mile, then there'd be no problem here. But they didn't.

And it would be a boycott on the UL Campus as the petition states.
    Is it okay to boycott this paper because they used the picture when on the ULSU ENTs page they name him. TBH is some of the picture he does look a little bit drunk eg. the one where he is trying to dry hump the girl. I don't know if he had anything to drink before the event or not. My only problem is that they don't see that they are doing the same. Both said he was involved in the week? yes or no. Did the sun say he was drinking and causing trouble? Did the sun name him?

Is it okay to boycott this paper because they used the picture when on the ULSU ENTs page they name him. TBH is some of the picture he does look a little bit drunk eg. the one where he is trying to dry hump the girl. I don't know if he had anything to drink before the event or not. My only problem is that they don't see that they are doing the same. Both said he was involved in the week? yes or no. Did the sun say he was drinking and causing trouble? Did the sun name him?

You're missing the point. It's not the fact they used his picture. It's the context in which they used it. They used it to falsely reinforced the view on Charity Weeks/RAG Weeks in the media.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point. It's not the fact they used his picture. It's the context in which they used it. They used it to falsely reinforced the view on Charity Weeks/RAG Weeks in the media.
    So what picture would have you used? You have to understand that most people outside of college see us a drunken fools, college is just a daycare centre or we cant complain because we dont have to deal with the current state of ireland. one of my uncles favorite go to lines. Do you think it will help us if we dont deal with these issues or just ban anything that diesn't paint us in a good light? I dont like the sun but we need a better issuse try and ban them over. Rag week neededs to change.

So what picture would have you used? You have to understand that most people outside of college see us a drunken fools, college is just a daycare centre or we cant complain because we dont have to deal with the current state of ireland. one of my uncles favorite go to lines. Do you think it will help us if we dont deal with these issues or just ban anything that diesn't paint us in a good light? I dont like the sun but we need a better issuse try and ban them over. Rag week neededs to change.

Are you actually reading my posts? I don't have a problem with the picture. What i have a problem with, is that there is no explanation that it was for Charity.

But if you're asking what picture I would use were I writing the article, well I'd probably use damages in College Court and jump on the anti-student bandwagon to sell papers.

Are you actually reading my posts? I don't have a problem with the picture. What i have a problem with, is that there is no explanation that it was for Charity.

But if you're asking what picture I would use were I writing the article, well I'd probably use damages in College Court and jump on the anti-student bandwagon to sell papers.
    If you what hard hitting facts try a broadsheet. The Sun as I have said before jumps from one bandwagon to another to sell. They use the term RAG as to why the student striped. Ul has a RAG week just under a different name.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I presume they didn't mention it, as it wasn't interesting for the bulk of their readers. They probably could have gone into a load of detail, interviewing his family, friends, local postman etc. But he's naked bar for a party hat on his genitals, which is probably a salient point in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Whats the difference between RAG Week and Charity Week?

Name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Wait, people were buying that filth before? How unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Sounds like an su cliquey kind of thing. Never buy that paper anyway.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

YFlyer wrote: »

I would imagine that Charity Weeks are allowed? Was there a ban on Rag Weeks?

MarkR wrote: »

I would imagine that Charity Weeks are allowed? Was there a ban on Rag Weeks?
    Nope they just changed the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Boobies > boycott

In essence just the name. But it's an important distinction to be made trying to restore the image of the event. (It's failing, but that's a different debate...)

In essence just the name. But it's an important distinction to be made trying to restore the image of the event. (It's failing, but that's a different debate...)
    TBH maybe a year out between the two might haved help or some difference between the two. They kinda droped the name change this year. I dont think the RAG Soc that ran (hehe) some of the events help push the name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nobby13

TBH maybe a year out between the two might haved help or some difference between the two. They kinda droped the name change this year. I dont think the RAG Soc that ran (hehe) some of the events help push the name change.

The RAG society have organized events to raise money for charity, none of the events were alcohol based or themed, so far they included, lighting sky lanterns, the nearly naked mile and some of the members raised money by doing shave or die. This is not a personal attack at you jester, I just think a society doing such a good job and it would be a shame to think otherwise. By the way I am not part of the society,I have donated and admire their work but I am not associated.

Nobby13 wrote: »

The RAG society have organized events to raise money for charity, none of the events were alcohol based or themed, so far they included, lighting sky lanterns, the nearly naked mile and some of the members raised money by doing shave or die. This is not a personal attack at you jester, I just think a society doing such a good job and it would be a shame to think otherwise. By the way I am not part of the society,I have donated and admire their work but I am not associated.

I fully understand that and they are doing a lot. It just in terms of branding that from people looking in at the SU set up sure as people outside UL and a lot of the students in UL. The events were RAG Soc events held during charity week. This might have mixed the lines in terms of branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Skyrim wrote: »
    Sounds like an su cliquey kind of thing. Never buy that paper anyway.

What do you mean?

Yeah, I'd agree with you here. It's gonna take a few years at least (if it's even possible) to try and totally dis-associate Charity Week from the RAG week brand.
    Leaving aside the R&G Soc's work (which is excellent imo) I personally think it was a poor choice of name, but then I can't really think of any suitable alternatives that would be as catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    Hi All,

Bored are ya?

Yeah, I'd agree with you here. It's gonna take a few years at least (if it's even possible) to try and totally dis-associate Charity Week from the RAG week brand.
    Leaving aside the R&G Soc's work (which is excellent imo) I personally think it was a poor choice of name, but then I can't really think of any suitable alternatives that would be as catchy.
    The first I heard of them was during Charity week and I thought that had dropped the name and went back to RAG week. It will be hard to have the name change stick eg scholars and javas

• Advertisement

The first I heard of them was during Charity week and I thought that had dropped the name and went back to RAG week. It will be hard to have the name change stick eg scholars and javas

Yeah, but there're very people in first year that call Javas Javas. Reckon in another three or four years people will all be calling it Scholars and those of us that come back and call it Javas will be stared at as if we have four heads. :pac:
    Give it a couple of years as being called Charity Week and I reckon it could work. (I would hope so anyway...)

Advertisement