Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ecommerce software

Options
  • 02-03-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Anyone tell me whats the best ecommerce/open source software for creating a website? I mean kinda user friendly stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

OScommerce is probably the most common one. A list of the top ten can be found here:

http://www.webdistortion.com/2008/05/03/9-kick-ass-open-source-e-commerce-platforms-reviewed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Citizen_Kane

Depends on where you wanna go with your site?

Have you considered pre-packaged services such as Etsy or even Ebay?
    Defo the easiest but probably not what you want, otherwise you would not be asking!

Easiest is going to be Wordpress linked into a third party payment operator via plugins. Wordpress is easy, but limited. Basically a blog with ability to buy things.

Next step up would be something like Drupal with a plugin such as Ubercart. Drupal is not as limited as Wordpress - you can build anything you want including blogs, forums and custom pages. Your imagination is the limit, but some assembly required!

If you see yourself growing into a large business, something like Magento is going to be the business. The advantage here is you can link into back-end ERP infrastructure such as OpenErp to manage you stock, warehouses, customer relations, sales leads, payroll, accounting etc, etc, etc..............

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Depends on where you wanna go with your site?

Have you considered pre-packaged services such as Etsy or even Ebay?
    Defo the easiest but probably not what you want, otherwise you would not be asking!

Easiest is going to be Wordpress linked into a third party payment operator via plugins. Wordpress is easy, but limited. Basically a blog with ability to buy things.

Next step up would be something like Drupal with a plugin such as Ubercart. Drupal is not as limited as Wordpress - you can build anything you want including blogs, forums and custom pages. Your imagination is the limit, but some assembly required!

If you see yourself growing into a large business, something like Magento is going to be the business. The advantage here is you can link into back-end ERP infrastructure such as OpenErp to manage you stock, warehouses, customer relations, sales leads, payroll, accounting etc, etc, etc..............

Emmm be careful of magento, very nice looking admin end with some lovely animated graphs hides a horrible engine that cannot be extended cheaply. There are many companies making a living ont he complexity of magento. Load in a few hundred product and run for 3 months. You'll have a dog slow site and though it may look nice, slow = less sales.

Lots of opensource carts out there will do the trick.
    Zencart, Loadedcommrce, oscommerce, opencart, etc etc.

There are plent of pretty templates available for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

willows wrote: »
    Emmm be careful of magento, very nice looking admin end with some lovely animated graphs hides a horrible engine that cannot be extended cheaply. There are many companies making a living ont he complexity of magento. Load in a few hundred product and run for 3 months. You'll have a dog slow site and though it may look nice, slow = less sales.

Lots of opensource carts out there will do the trick.
    Zencart, Loadedcommrce, oscommerce, opencart, etc etc.

There are plent of pretty templates available for all.

Magento is complicated because it was built with one thing in mind; flexibility and customisation. You can create a magento module that overrides nearly anything without touching the core code. There's a big ecosystem around it with extensions for a lot of things if you need them, the package can do most things from a standard install.

Yes, it can be very slow if you don't invest in the hardware. On my 16gb, i7 2600k server with caching and APC, performance is great.

But you're right, I suppose I'm one of the developers banking on the complexity of Magento :D

Advertisement