Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Tree

Options
  • 02-03-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

Im new to this but I said Ill give it ago. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows alot about coolock village and surronding areas as im looking for an area called Shrubs but as far as I know its not called that any more. On my grandmothers birth cert (1916) it has an address of Shrubs Lodge Coolock but cant find where it was nor can I find any pictures from around that time of the area. Iv traced a lot of the family which I found on the census as well.

Any help or info would be great. Thanks guys

Robin

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Shrubs is a townland of about 79 acres, located in the civil parish of Coolock.

Townland database : www.seanruad.com

Shane

Shrubs townland and House on the OSI Map ...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,718332,740370,6,7
    (1st edition map)

a couple of Lodges are shown nearby on the slightly later OSI maps - c1890

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,718612,740481,7,9

Shane

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have no particular interest in Shrubs in Coolock. But I did enjoy watching everyone's detective skills coming into play, which happens regularly in the Genealogy forum. Well done all! ;)

• Advertisement

Me too Jellybaby. Though Shane is the real detective. I'm only learning.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Me too Jellybaby. Though Shane is the real detective. I'm only learning.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Shane would probably also say (but for the fact that I am now forestalling him) that he is only learning.

He's quite a few pages further into the book than most of us.

there's always more to learn!

There's no magic to finding a location - if it's not a street name, or a recognizable town, then it's likely one of the c65,000 townlands. The place to start is always the townland database. The spellings can vary a bit over time so you sometimes have to try a few variations to get your match.

Registrations were supposed to take place in the district they took place in and you can use this to narrow down the list. Helpful for birth and deaths, and residences of brides for marriages - but not necessarily for grooms.. Registration Districts are generally the same as Poor Law Unions, or PLUs, that's how they are listed on the townland database.

Google and OSI modern maps often show townlands but they dont always search correctly, and they dont include those for areas that are now urban - like Shrubs. One way that's worth trying on google maps is to start with a larger nearby location - e.g. the town the Reg. District is based in, or the name of the civil parish (often the name of a townland or town), and then search from there. A trip search from a nearby location often works when a more general may not.. or lead you to the wrong place.

To find a townland's location on the OSI maps - zoom in to the approximate location based on civil parish or Reg. District town, select the 6" colour map and browse for the correct civil parish - borders shown in green. Then zoom in further and check the townland names - borders in red.

It's worth double checking the area of the townland you find vs the database entry as there are duplicates with the same name - so it's possible to pick up the wrong Kilbride for example...

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Robin 2012

hi all that was very quick haha thanks very much the maps are brill. my G.G. granfather was a black smith and found them on the census is there any way of "converting" the address into an address that it might be today dont know if that makes sense to you's.
    "Residents of a house 15 in Coolock (Coolock, Dublin) (1901)" Patrick walsh http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Coolock/Coolock/1271617/
    As he was a blacksmith id say they had a bit of money but can or how do you find where the property was?
    Thanks again guys
    Robin

• Advertisement

i want to show yous something how do i upload a picture????

From Newbies and FAQ's:
    10. How can I insert pictures in my posts?
    This is also very easy to do, and very similar to number 9 above:

You don't have to have anything written in the Message box to embed a picture. Text can be entered before or after you insert a picture into your post
    Click the little square yellow box with tiny mountains in the foreground. It looks like this:insertimage.gif
    In the box that says "Please enter the URL of your image:", paste in the URL of the picture you want to embed in your post, and click OK

Genealogy Forum Mod

The Walsh family are at Coolock townland, to the east of Shrubs and where Coolock village is located. There's a 'Smithy' marked on the c1907 OSI map, just to the east of the main street that could have been your guy - see :

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,719632,739161,7,9

Shane

I googled on "forge coolock" and found a modern commercial premises on Beechpark Avenue, no great distance from the smithy Shane found. It's possible, but I don't think it probable, that there was more than one forge in Coolock.

The building return for the townland doesn't show any forges in Coolock townland (which covers the eastern side of the village), except for the church, dispensary, RIC barracks, court house, post office and a couple of pubs etc, mostly residential. The blacksmith business could have been behind the house - access looks like it may have been possible from the road P. Breathnach mentioned.

There's a lane behind the pub from the car-park now at about the right spot..

Shane

Patrick is listed in Thom's 1899 - no addresses for the town, just an alphabetical listed of occupants, including Patrick Walsh, blacksmith.

He's listed with the same details in 1904, but there's no sign of him in the 1906 directory in the listing for Coolock village. There is a new blacksmith listed instead named John Davison.

Working back in time Patrick appears with the same details in 1891, but there's no sign of Patrick or any blacksmith in Coolock village in the 1885 directory.

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    ... P. Breathnach mentioned....
    Shane, in internet terms we know one another well enough to be informal with one another: please feel free to address or refer to me as PB (less typing).

The image is a photo i have on my computer its not on the web!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys didn’t expect so much information. The whole thing is on my grandmother’s birth cert it says Shrubs Lodge Coolock which I think is the one on the map. The other thing is my G.Grandmother Catherine Smyth (Walsh) her address is not very clear on the picture I’m trying to upload to see if yous can read it or know where it is. It is her father who is Patrick Walsh (blacksmith) who is my G.G. Grandfather and his wife is Mary Walsh (Duffy) from the census is from Meath. Catherine’s husband Thomas Smyth My G.Grandfather I can’t find his date of birth or where he or the family came from I know they married in St. Brendan’s Church in Coolock on the 5Th Feb 1911 He was aged 26 and she was aged 18 (bit of an age gap :)) because it is in the church records and also their marriage cert. Also know that he died 1st Oct 1918 and she died 14th Dec 1920. Thomas Smyth mother’s maiden name was Hickey but the General Registers Office can’t find his birth cert for some reason but on the marriage cert it says his father Patrick Smyth and mother Mary Smyth (Hickey) are from “Coolock, Dublin” but no exact address. The other big thing is when they both died my grandmother and her 3 sisters got put into goldenbridge in 1922 so someone had them for 2 years but whom? Was in touch with goldenbridge and they sent me out all the info but nothing about who the parents where or where she lived or who was minding them it’s all blank. I was in touch with the department of education and science but no joy they have no record of it brick wall yet again!
    I suppose what I’m after is Thomas Smyth D.O.B and who was minding them when the parents died and where People where living.
    Ha-ha your prob have a head ache taking all this in :)
    Thanks again guys
    Robin

If I want to upload a picture from my computer to Boards I usually go to wthax.org. Click Browse, and then in the window that opens look for your picture and double click on it when you find it. Then click the Do It Now button. When the picture has been uploaded you can Cut and Paste the link to Boards.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    If I want to upload a picture from my computer to Boards I usually go to wthax.org. Click Browse, and then in the window that opens look for your picture and double click on it when you find it. Then click the Do It Now button. When the picture has been uploaded you can Cut and Paste the link to Boards.

I upload photos to forums from my computer without wthax.org. But I usually have to save it to my computer first giving it a name, sometimes I have to reduce the size in Paint if there are any restrictions on some sites, then I upload straight from my computer. Is there any particular benefit to using wthax.org? My way works, but takes a little bit of time.

Cant upload photo not working for me Grrrrrr!

To check shops ect.. do you need to pay to find out. My aunt said apparently my G.Grandperants owned or ran a sweet shop across from St. Brendans church in coolcok village. I dont think they did because I think it was the workshop (forge) not the sweet shop. Maybe sweet shop over the years came from what was workshop kind of chinese whispers.

Occupation_thumb.png

Occupation.png

Coolock_thumb.png

Can you make it out something Coolock and on the other picture it says before "married" something as his occupation but what???

Thanks guys

I see "dairy man" and "Twenty Fifth December".

deleted... not awake yet!

S.

I tought it was dairy man alright. the other picture I dont think it is december. its part of the address

robin

pretty sure that's the date - the column heading is date and place of birth, and the details entered are

Twenty
    Fifth
    December
    Coolock

what's the date of registration ?
    Should be over on the right of the form

S.

Ye I can see what yous mean know. Any other advive/information on the above posts that i put up?

Robin

• Advertisement

Robin 2012 wrote: »
    Catherine’s husband Thomas Smyth My G.Grandfather I can’t find his date of birth or where he or the family came from I know they married in St. Brendan’s Church in Coolock on the 5Th Feb 1911 He was aged 26 and she was aged 18
    Thomas Smyth mother’s maiden name was Hickey but the General Registers Office can’t find his birth cert for some reason but on the marriage cert it says his father Patrick Smyth and mother Mary Smyth (Hickey) are from “Coolock, Dublin” but no exact address.
    I suppose what I’m after is Thomas Smyth D.O.B....

one point about that marriage - addresses on parish or civil records are generally the current address, which may not be the same as where they came from originally. What was Patrick Smyth occupation on the marriage cert ?

is this your Thomas and Catherine on the 1911 return (gives ages as 26 and 21..) ?

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Coolock/Shrubs/8524/

Shane

Advertisement