Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone do the new doe/cvt test yet?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi im wondering did anybody bring there campervan/motorhome to the new test yet? ... If so do tell how you got on :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I'm on my way in now to do mine

Passed.. Got a big cert do I have to go the tax office with that even if I already have tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Got a test done at Mutec, Long Mile Road, Dublin yesterday and it was a pass with some small defects. I took the RSA circular sheet with me and as far as I could tell this was a first copy they had seen.

My Sprinter will be 10 a year old this year and the tester took his time with it, like almost 2 hours in total, and I got the feeling that he did a very thorough job with the inspection. The tester was well aware with all the typical issues that happens on these vehicles, a definite bonus when taking your vehicle to the main dealers. For example he suggested that I should weld an extra bracket behind a front muffler to prolong the life of exhaust and found also slight fretting of rear axle against leaf spring there.

All in all I feel like it was definitely worth the money and effort to get the DOE done. It felt like the tester took real interest in my camper and wanted to do a real good job ensuring it's safe to use without going overboard. Mutec also have coffee and biscuits free of charge, and I found the service in general was excellent.

Sami how's the softness of your brake pedal any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

samih wrote: »
    Got a test done at Mutec, Long Mile Road, Dublin yesterday and it was a pass with some small defects. I took the RSA circular sheet with me and as far as I could tell this was a first copy they had seen.

My Sprinter will be 10 a year old this year and the tester took his time with it, like almost 2 hours in total, and I got the feeling that he did a very thorough job with the inspection. The tester was well aware with all the typical issues that happens on these vehicles, a definite bonus when taking your vehicle to the main dealers. For example he suggested that I should weld an extra bracket behind a front muffler to prolong the life of exhaust and found also slight fretting of rear axle against leaf spring there.

All in all I feel like it was definitely worth the money and effort to get the DOE done. It felt like the tester took real interest in my camper and wanted to do a real good job ensuring it's safe to use without going overboard. Mutec also have coffee and biscuits free of charge, and I found the service in general was excellent.

Did they pay much attention to your windows, I've a hight top and the windows have no marking. I've email the company I think made them but the guy is away till Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭tphase

Did they pay much attention to your windows, I've a hight top and the windows have no marking. I've email the company I think made them but the guy is away till Monday

got mine tested this morning - guy checked the markings on every window.

passed, of course ....:D

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Sami how's the softness of your brake pedal any issues?

Sprinter? They are known to have somewhat leaky brake master cylinders, i.e. the pedal will keep going down towards the floor on continuous pressure on the pedal. However, it does not affect the brake efficiency as much less pressure is needed when actually braking.

Mine has stayed the same/felt soft since I bough the van over 4 years ago. Initially I failed my first DOE when imported the base van as rear brakes had air in the lines. Careful bleed and tightening the unions at balance valve sorted out that issue. I though at the time that I need a new master cyl but the garage told me otherwise.

I'm not sure about the windows as mine are Seitz with (was it) R43 marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

samih wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the windows as mine are Seitz with (was it) R43 marking.

So windows with this marking are good enough are they ?

elaverty wrote: »
    So windows with this marking are good enough are they ?

Yeah, the circular specifies what markings are acceptable and the R43 is the current one for vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Passed.. Got a big cert do I have to go the tax office with that even if I already have tax

Easy answer to this.

Yes you do.
    Paperwork from test centre on its own is no good.
    Mine was tested last September but only went for the cert from MTO this week when it bacame law.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Mine passed today, 1990 vw t25.

'The van is in good condition" was the only comment. yeeaaah!

He told me the DOE was valid for 2 years which surprised me. I thought campers over 10 years old had to repeat the DOE annually ?

Mine passed today, 1990 vw t25.

'The van is in good condition" was the only comment. yeeaaah!

He told me the DOE was valid for 2 years which surprised me. I thought campers over 10 years old had to repeat the DOE annually ?

Yes, 1 year only I'm afraid. When you get the "Certificate of Roadworthiness" from your local MTO they should tell you that, or at least mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Yes, 1 year only I'm afraid. When you get the "Certificate of Roadworthiness" from your local MTO they should tell you that, or at least mine did.

Ah, that's what I thought. I even said it to the chap giving me the test certificate that I thought it was an annual test, but he was insistent it was valid for two years. I guess they haven't seen many campers in that center yet, I got the impression mine was the first he tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seany6711

hi i have a 85 renault traffic camper van and i am looking for information on what and were do i go about the new road test as i didnt need it befor

Have a look at the first thread headed "DOE test - the last word".

Lots of posts there. Worth scanning through them. Should cover everything you need to know.

Advertisement