Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer repair scam phone calls

Options
  • 02-03-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi

We've been receiving these scam calls from a company wanting to repair our computer. Usual thing that lots of people have been getting recently.

Has anyone found a way of stopping them or combatting them in some way? I know because the calls are coming from India that they're beyond the reach of Comreg and our phone provider (Vodafone) but has anyone come up with ideas?

We got 2 today and get at least 1 every other day at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Tell them you have a Mac. Worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yeah, I just got another one this morning.
    Depending on the mood I'm in, I'll either hang up straight away, give them some abuse and then hang up, or string them along for a while to waste their time before hanging up. Asking where they got my number from usually prompts them to hang up, and if you're obviously winding them up they usually hang up pretty quickly too.

It's bloody irritating though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No they keep ringing. I've cancel the eircom line now, so it stopped then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Search them on you tube. Some good lads there great at wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Had one of these calls to my landline and they were claiming to be from Microsoft and they had detected an error with my windows machine. I was so angry with them as they had scammed my 80 year old grandad out of a couple hundred euro that I didn't even have it in me to lead them along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Advertisement