Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froch v Bute, May 26th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will be interesting to see if Froch can cope with his(Bute's) devastating uppercuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Froch is probably the most durable opponent he will have had to date. Bute always appears to be extremely fit & is very hard to hit. If Froch cant get to him early on I think Bute will take a narrow points win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I'd say Bute will frustrate him a bit... should be a war, good match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I like Carl Froch a lot, his attitude, willingness to meet anyone etc, but the fact is that he is just not a very good boxer. Crude and wide open a lot. Bute should be too slick and neat and polished for Froch. Bute is bigger than Ward, hits every bit as hard and is as good a boxer. Froch was not disgraced by Ward, but he was shown up a bit as someone who when they cannot physically bully, they are a little bit lost as regards outboxing their foe. This is what will happen with Bute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

Is this certain? Didn't think Bute would travel, certainly didn't think he'd agree to fight in Nottingham.

Have to take your hat to Froch. Outboxed by Ward he moves on to probably the only other man in the division capable of showing him up. Hope he wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Bute points victory looks the most likely outcome and 15/8 with BETFRED looks generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Don't write off Froch. Bute has never fought anywhere where he wasn't the raging crowd favourite. Here it will be the exact opposite.

I reckon he'll outbox Froch for long periods early on (as Nacho noted the left uppercut will probably be landing frequently), but as usual with Froch, his determination and will could bring him back into it late. Whether that will be good enough to overcome the early deficit I'm not sure, but dont' forget the first Andrade fight where Bute was literally hanging on in the last few rounds and needed some 'friendly' reffing to survive the last.

No matter what happens I have nothing but respect for Froch. Very honest and only takes on the best.

PS. He's also an extremely accomplished analyst. Most definitely will be taken on (probably by Sky) when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Bute may be a little vulnerable come the last 3 or 4 rounds.

Agree re Froch's analytical skills. He's a tough guy, but it does genuinely suprise me that if he wins this fight he will be a 3 time World Champ. His boxing skills are limited enough IMO.

Bute v Froch
    Cotto v Mayweather
    Pacquiao v Bradley
    Khan v Peterson

Just a few of some great matches that have been made for early summer. I for one am really looking forward to these. Great for real boxing fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I will also say that Froch is not the same man now as he was over the past two to three years. He is on the slide, not near finished, but sliding. Bute has not been in as many tough fights, is a few years younger, and should be the fresher man.

Agree. He certainly looked all of his 34 years in his last fight. He'll be 5 weeks short of his 35th by the time he fights Bute. I genuinely hope he wins though, if I don't end up having a few quid on it that is.

walshb wrote: »
    I will also say that Froch is not the same man now as he was over the past two to three years. He is on the slide, not near finished, but sliding. Bute has not been in as many tough fights, is a few years younger, and shoul dbe the fresher man.

This is true I think, I reckon this fight is make or break for Froch and he knows it. Its a smart move on his part to take on Bute before Ward or Kessler gets anywhere near him. If he really absorbs the home crowd atmosphere he has a chance of eeking a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Froch is putting it on the line here coming of a defeat against Ward i doubt he can win here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

Great match up.
    Fair play to Bute for taking the fight in the UK.
    Close fight and great action fight but I think Bute might just be catching Froch at the right time of his career. I think Froch has peaked already. Bute should win close fight, maybe just by a round or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Is Ward likely to fight Bute if he beats Froch?

Advertisement