Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one remember The Gorgous gael

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Good old Jack Doyle.

Obviously I'm too young to remember him, but I've heard a lot of stories about him, including one from my hometown where he landed in town with his filmstar girlfriend Movita. He was enjoying himself in a local pub and late in the night started singing (he was very good). I can't remember the exact details, but the barman hadn't a clue who he was and wasn't too happy that the crowd weren't dispersing and much to the amusement of everyone else present ended up telling Doyle he was going to beat the sh!t out of him if he didn't stop singing!!

He actually knocked himself out in a fight. Took such a wild swing and missed so badly he ended up hitting his head off the canvas and failed to beat the count. True story.

He drew massive crowds in England to see him fight, but unfortunately still ended up dying in poverty.

megadodge wrote: »
    Good old Jack Doyle.

Obviously I'm too young to remember him, but I've heard a lot of stories about him, including one from my hometown where he landed in town with his filmstar girlfriend Movita. He was enjoying himself in a local pub and late in the night started singing (he was very good). I can't remember the exact details, but the barman hadn't a clue who he was and wasn't too happy that the crowd weren't dispersing and much to the amusement of everyone else present ended up telling Doyle he was going to beat the sh!t out of him if he didn't stop singing!!

He actually knocked himself out in a fight. Took such a wild swing and missed so badly he ended up hitting his head off the canvas and failed to beat the count. True story.

He drew massive crowds in England to see him fight, but unfortunately still ended up dying in poverty.

Would that have been Ballbriggan? the hotel there had the Jack Doyle bar and the Movita ballroom years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Read his book. Very interesting character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

He allegedly attributed his financial downfall and eventual bankruptcy to "Fast women and slow horses."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

megadodge wrote: »
    Good old Jack Doyle.

Classic. I hadn't heard of that story till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

The book is a brilliant read, his life story is unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Tony Angelino

Christy Moore sings a briilliant version of Jimmy McCarthy's (I think) song about Jack Doyle. Song is also called the Contender

Doyle was in Mickey Pogues bar in Lisburn,also in the bar was Irelands smallest man Davy Jones and with the usual banter you would get with those 2 in the bar'anyway Davy says to Doyle I can do something that you cannot do i bet you a pint i will so Doyle says well then go ahead,right says Davy open you legs wide there Doyle dos so and davy walks between Doyles legs and he stands back legs apart and tells Doyle now its your turn

http://lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/davy-jones-car.html

Advertisement