Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New daily sports show coming to 2fm

Options
  • 01-03-2012 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

A little birdy told me that from april 23 an new sports magazine show called The Score will air on 2fm Monday-Friday 5pm-6pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting....or possibly not depending on who is on it and if it indicates a wider shift in the landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

Des wrote: »
    Des Cahill.

Ah Jaysus no. Mercifully that is such a potentially lazy choice that you gotta be joking. Please say that you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Let me guess... Craig Doyle. Well he is everywhere else and has previous with sports...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

So will they just be moving sport @ 7 from rte to 2fm and a new time slot. Prob be the same presenters producers from within thw incesteous rte family. Jobs for d boys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

neris wrote: »
    So will they just be moving sport @ 7 from rte to 2fm and a new time slot. Prob be the same presenters producers from within thw incesteous rte family. Jobs for d boys

Who would you propose as an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

neris wrote: »

It would even be better if they set up a dedicated sports channel, that way us normal people (:)) could completely ignore it without having to change channels regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Des wrote: »
    Des Cahill.

Jaysus.

Or else yer wan Jacqui Hurley, the one with the sore throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Jaysus.

Or else yer wan Jacqui Hurley, the one with the sore throat.

I thought that was Sharon Ni Bheoilain? :confused:

Anyhoo, its probably just a case of moving sport from Radio One. Who the hell listens to that boring GAA-centric guff anyway when the vastily more interesting 'Off the Ball' lads are on at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

5-6 is crazy! Everyday! I switch off Matt Cooper when he starts rabbiting on about Rugby on a Friday at 6. EVen more reasons to not listen to 2FM now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Horses for courses, Friday evenings are the only time I listen to sports on Matt Cooper, otherwise it's usually just rabbiting about soccer every other day of the week. Today FM has a hard on for English soccer, even on the day of the Dublin City Marathon last year they were still leading their sports bulletins with English soccer.

Saturday afternoons are a nightmare for anyone in any form of sport apart from bloody soccer. There's no need for a daily sports show on 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Horses for courses, Friday evenings are the only time I listen to sports on Matt Cooper, otherwise it's usually just rabbiting about soccer every other day of the week. Today FM has a hard on for English soccer, even on the day of the Dublin City Marathon last year they were still leading their sports bulletins with English soccer.

Saturday afternoons are a nightmare for anyone in any form of sport apart from bloody soccer. There's no need for a daily sports show on 2fm.

Primarily becuase "English soccer" is one of the most popular sports in the country. I love the anti-soccer/football snobs. Always a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The Fame

Poor Will Leahy, looks like he's been shafted from the drive time slot unless he's on after or before the sports show. 5-6 is a nonsensical time,right in the middle of drive time :? Hopefully they'll get rid of Rick O'Shea, he's been driving me mad recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Fame wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll get rid of Rick O'Shea, he's been driving me mad recently

You really should just change the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Don't RTE have a sports slot after 7pm already? Whats the point ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Oh for the love of God!!! Seriously???!!!?!? is there a drunk baby at the helm of 2FM these days? A hour long sports show. During Drivetime. On 2FM...... SERIOUSLY?

You actually have to be having a laugh surely? Haha, funny troll is funny!!

:(

What demographic are the actually aiming for these days? Do they even know? This doesn't fit in at all with the image of the station as a station for young people.

As for presenters.... if Fiona Looney is left within 10 feet of the studio during those times I will scream.

DB21 wrote: »
    Primarily becuase "English soccer" is one of the most popular sports in the country. I love the anti-soccer/football snobs. Always a good laugh.

That's a stretch to call me an anti-soccer/football snob when you haven't got a clue about me. I've no interest in horse racing, I'm not anti-horse racing or a snob about it, I've no interest in golf, same goes. I've no interest in soccer, ergo I'm not anti-soccer/a soccer snob. Is the poster a few posts ahead of me an anti-ruggerbugger/ rugby snob because he has no interest in it ? Fantastic logic by you.

However if I did want to watch grown men roll around on the ground or make spectacular jumps I'll be tuning into the mens Olympic diving or martial arts this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I'm not anti-soccer/a soccer snob

Okay, perhaps I misjud....
    However if I did want to watch grown men roll around on the ground or make spectacular jumps I'll be tuning into the mens Olympic diving or martial arts this year.

...Oh dear.

It was obviously a sarcastic comment in keeping with your theme, but that's neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I think it is a silly time to put a sports show on, surely you would have it on later to try to compete with "Off the Ball" on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

That's a stretch to call me an anti-soccer/football snob when you haven't got a clue about me. I've no interest in horse racing, I'm not anti-horse racing or a snob about it, I've no interest in golf, same goes. I've no interest in soccer, ergo I'm not anti-soccer/a soccer snob. Is the poster a few posts ahead of me an anti-ruggerbugger/ rugby snob because he has no interest in it ? Fantastic logic by you.

Okay, perhaps I misjud....

...Oh dear.
    It was obviously a sarcastic comment in keeping with your theme, but that's neither here nor there.

MOD: Stick to the topic. Remember the adage of "Attack the post and not the poster".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Vahevala wrote: »
    I think it is a silly time to put a sports show on, surely you would have it on later to try to compete with "Off the Ball" on Newstalk.

Surely they have it on when they do in a conscious effort NOT to compete with Off the Ball...?

Bard wrote: »
    Surely they have it on when they do in a conscious effort NOT to compete with Off the Ball...?

You not a mod anymore Bard? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

telekon wrote: »
    You not a mod anymore Bard? :confused:

Not that it's got anything to do with the topic of a sports show coming to 2FM, but yes, I stepped down as mod... and I don't wish to discuss it beyond that in a thread here, thanks.

Bard wrote: »
    Not that it's got anything to do with the topic of a sports show coming to 2FM, but yes, I stepped down as mod... and I don't wish to discuss it beyond that in a thread here, thanks.

Fair enough, just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spunk__MAN

The op was right after all, kind of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It also happens to be the one sport that every single TV channel and radio station covers ad nauseum. A bit of variety does nobody any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    A bit of variety does nobody any harm.

It harms the ratings though - the majority of people will tune away if Show A is covering the Athlone Ladies Curling B Championship, and Show B is covering yet another angle of a ballboy getting kicked by a millionaire.

And when ratings are harmed, shows are cancelled.

No matter how noble the thoughts of "a bit of variety" are - Ireland is too small for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

Makes Today FM an absolute no brainer now. It's like 2FM have just forfeited the game really. They should be using that time of the evening to focus on new Irish music and alternative music. I saw in an article yesterday that they're talking of extending this nonsense until 10PM if there's a match on, which is probably every Tuesday and Wednsday night once that Champions League crap starts up. It's not like there aren't other outlets for soccer and sport in general. Sky Sports are there, BBC 5Live, that Off the Ball rubbish and countless other outlets. What a complete waste of air time by a national broadcaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Will the sports show on Saturdays be scrapped/moved.

Dear god if its moved to the weekday slot, Fiona Looney & Will O Connor as presenters??

The moose and that young lad doing the predictions will have to get daily slots so I guess.

It would be refreshing if they gave the gig to an 'unknown', that is someone who hasn't already had loads of TV/radio slots,

Nah, it'll be Hector

Advertisement