Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain allowing people to grow fields of cannabis

Options
  • 01-03-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Spain village offers land for cannabis growing - Yahoo! News
    A Spanish village plans to rent out its fields for growing cannabis in an urgent bid to create jobs and money to pay off its debts, officials said.

The Catalonian village of Rasquera, population 900, voted late Wednesday in favour of a plan to rent land to an association that promotes the legal recreational or therapeutic use of cannabis by its 5,000 members.

"This is an opportunity that will bring money to the village and will bring jobs," mayor Bernat Pellissa told TVE television after the village council, controlled by a pro-Catalan independence party, approved the plan.

The village's economic councillor Josep Maria Insausti told AFP the plan is to create a public company through which landowners will be able to rent their fields to the Barcelona-based cannabis smokers' association ABCDA.

Private consumption of cannabis is not outlawed in Spain although it is illegal to sell the drug.

I wonder if they will ever try the same thing here. Almost half of the EU countries have decriminalised cannabis for personal use, why is our country so backwards on this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Because we're run by idiots with no vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Good for them... it'll be one of their main exports soon!

Does Ireland even have the climate for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

we have electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Good for them... it'll be one of their main exports soon!

Does Ireland even have the climate for it?

we export a lot of it too, needs to be legalised and brought into the tax net.

we have electricity

With the way things are going, that's not necessarily a selling point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Legalise now maaan. Woo! *makes rock hand gesture* :cool:

bobmalooka wrote: »
    we export a lot of it too, needs to be legalised and brought into the tax net.

No doubting ya or anything, are we talking legal/illegal export? If legal, how can we export something that's illegal?

I do agree it should be creating tax, you don't think the Dutch government aren't getting a share do ya? They are charging 10% BTW (VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

pragmatic1 wrote: »

It's good for a variety of visual ailments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It was Legal in Switzerland for a time to grow it for seeds, they change the law over night and ****ed every farmer over, will happen here too.

Funny that Portugal and Spain would be seen as the two countries least developed in Western Europe but their governments are left smart about drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

frag420 wrote: »
    It's good for a variety of visual ailments!!

...can it cure headuparseitis though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

No doubting ya or anything, are we talking legal/illegal export? If legal, how can we export something that's illegal?

I do agree it should be creating tax, you don't think the Dutch government aren't getting a share do ya? They are charging 10% BTW (VAT)

Ironically the majority of weed leaving ireland ends up in holland (so im told), its cheaper because its illegal here and therefore tax free.

The customs controls on items leaving Ireland are fairly lax compared to coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nodin wrote: »
    ...can it cure headuparseitis though?

It does with a joint in your mouth.

Fixes it every time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Guill wrote: »
    It was Legal in Switzerland for a time to grow it for seeds, they change the law over night and ****ed every farmer over, will happen here too.

It's still legal to grow in Switzerland

http://abcda.es/en/home-en/83-cannabis-legal-and-regulated-in-spain-for-2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

its a huge problem, not many people seem to see this as they also have no vision.

people running the government only try to insure their own career is safe, country/citizens should come first. they dont look beyond the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does this mean that no-one's off to Canada now? They'll be a bit miffed.

this thread makes me want to rant, thats 2 potential long posts Ive deleted now pre posting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

When it comes to growing the weed outdoors, few other European countries enjoy such ideal conditions as Spain - abundant sunshine and high ground. Good luck to the people in that Catalan village. Their decision represents a small victory for common sense.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Grow bags in aldi €1.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

people running the government only try to insure their own career is safe, country/citizens should come first. they dont look beyond the next election

It's one of the horrible flaws of democracy.

Maybe if people were only allowed one 6 year term they'd want to leave a legacy rather than using all their time and energy getting re-elected?

I dunno.

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    When it comes to growing the weed outdoors, few other European countries enjoy such ideal conditions as Spain - abundant sunshine and high ground. Good luck to the people in that Catalan village. Their decision represents a small victory for common sense.:):):)

nice unintentional pun!

Maybe if people were only allowed one 6 year term they'd want to leave a legacy rather than using all their time and energy getting re-elected?

I dunno.
    democracy seems to only happen every few years when we get to choose which side of the same coin to vote in, then we dont have any say in the matter and when the **** hits the fan people say 'oh well you voted that shower of gob****es in', so we vote the other crowd the next time who do the same thing because its the whole system thats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

when the **** hits the fan people say 'oh well you voted that shower of gob****es in',

That pisses me off no end. People keep saying 'look we have these debts and we all have to pull together'

There is no fucking 'we' in this situation. There are the people who fucked up (property speculators, bankers, regulators etc) and the people who are forced to pay for their mistakes whether they were responsible or not - that is very much 'us' and 'them'.

Bah! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

actually, according to a very wise man (i think at least) this is democracy functioning as designed :

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

or :

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

I appreciate this refers to the US White House but personally I think the theory stands. But then again, I have, on occasion, been accused of being overly cynical :D

(quotes are from H.L. Mencken btw)

Not nearly as much as they should be getting, as a lot of coffeeshops are a bit liberal in their approach to paying taxes, this was used against them when they protested the proposed membership legislation (wietpas). Apparently the government pointed at the numbers for actual tax receipts and concluded that coffeeshops must only be about 20th on the list of tourist attractions income wise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

wexie wrote: »
    actually, according to a very wise man

(quotes are from H.L. Mencken btw)

He was brilliant. One of my favourite quotes of his, while we are talking politics, is...

"There comes a point in every man's life that he wants to spit on his hands, hoist the Jolly Roger, and start slittin' throats."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

HUGS NOT DRUGS!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They're not that idiotic.

They manage to ensure they massive have obscene pay, perks and pensions.

The idiots are the people that keep electing self-serving me feinners. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Ellis Dee wrote: »

oh trust me , outdoors in Ireland for hemp production is no problem :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

if they legalize it before the referendum ill re consider the way im going to vote.

everyone wins ?

Advertisement