Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Battlefield 3?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Do many here play this on the 360? I'm very tempted to get it but wondered how does it play on the 360?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

No argument, the best version runs on PC. Between consoles, both Xbox and PS3 versions are playable - PS3 has marginally fewer lag problems, Xbox has vastly improved chat with the party system for playing with friends.

It is clunkier than other shooters - but after you play it for a while you see it's designed that way. There are tons of different ways to play using different classes, land or air vehicles, all with their own unlocks/perks - and it's a bit overwhelming and takes a long time to learn what exactly is happening and the best way to do things. Also, some maps can seem pretty big at first. There are some fights that you just can't win (sniper versus tank, for example), which make teamwork essential to success.

So, it's not as easy to pick up and play as other shooters, but if you can stick with it after making a couple hundred mistakes in different ways it's pretty rewarding when it cilcks with you.

The game is still pretty popular, and there are more than enough people who are still new to the game - not every server is full of players who have unlocked everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks raze. I forgot to add I'm a BF veteran, having played both BF2 and BF:BC2 on the PC :D So I'm well used to how it plays. I won't be running around shooting like a headless chicken from COD ;):p

I just don't have the cash to upgrade my PC anymore and thats why I'm going with the Xbox version, thanks for the detailed post, appreciate it. As long as the 360 version doesn't have any issues I'll order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I have it for both 360 and PC
    Raze gave a good account.
    360 is max 24man though, so map size suffers in some gametypes.
    Still, it's Battlefield, and if you've a few friends to play with it's still brilliant in its own right

(avoid PC comparisons as it would never come off well)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

The standard of player on the console is a lot lower than PC that's the major difference for me. Apart from graphics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

ktulu123 wrote: »
    The standard of player on the console is a lot lower than PC that's the major difference for me. Apart from graphics etc.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They pump in more hours though and seem to have more points - as maps are smaller / squads and are more inclined to see the enemy most of the time (whereas on PC you can be running accross a huge map and not see anyone for ages )

Thanks for the replies.

Quick question, I am looking at ordering the limited edition on Amazon. If I get it from the UK will the online pass and that work here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yes. It's still a PAL system game so will work anywhere across the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have it for the Xbox as I can't justify spending that much on a new PC. If you have played other shooters on the console and have managed to get over the fact that it's less responsive using a controller than mouse and keys then it's well worth a purchase. The best fps around at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Michael Fish

Hi Herrick, I would recommend satying well clear of this game. I have played up to 4-5hours on the xbox and all Solo Campaign progess lost. Started again and the exact same thing happened though at a later stage. Really annoying. A lot of people have the exact same problem. Just google it. Want my money back but that seems to be impossible from Ea Games according to various blogs. Never buy another EA games again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Hi Herrick, I would recommend satying well clear of this game. I have played up to 4-5hours on the xbox and all Solo Campaign progess lost. Started again and the exact same thing happened though at a later stage. Really annoying. A lot of people have the exact same problem. Just google it. Want my money back but that seems to be impossible from Ea Games according to various blogs. Never buy another EA games again.

There's a campaign? :p

No but seriously, the campaign for BF3 is just tacked on nonsense tbh. Multiplayer is what this game should be bought for as that is where it comes alive and blows its competition out of the water, imo.

Thanks Aaron. I know you're right but I need to get some practice in before a tooled up 12 year old shoots me repeatedly in the back of the head. Applied 2GB patch(2 GB - unreal. Was the game finished on release?) so maybe that will overcome it. COD might not be as realistic but at least it doesn't wipe your identity/profile.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks Aaron. I know you're right but I need to get some practice in before a tooled up 12 year old shoots me repeatedly in the back of the head. Applied 2GB patch(2 GB - unreal. Was the game finished on release?) so maybe that will overcome it. COD might not be as realistic but at least it doesn't wipe your identity/profile.

That 2gig was probably the free Back to Karkand expansion if bought the limited edition. And it can't be legitimately described as wiping your profile, since the only profile that matters is your multiplayer one and that's kept on the EA servers.

Nope. Definitely said to fix bugs for solo and multiplayer campaign. Lost all saved game progress twice. Resets and forces you to choose visual adjustments etc and start new campaign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nope. Definitely said to fix bugs for solo and multiplayer campaign. Lost all saved game progress twice. Resets and forces you to choose visual adjustments etc and start new campaign.

There were client updates in with the update, the bulk of it was still most likely the BtK content.

Hi Spear, started again after applying patch. Lost single player in the exact same place(aircraft carrier heading for Iran). Played multiplayer and after getting slapped in the head with a SCUD missile on a number of occassions, mastered it but then got a saved game corruption error. Saved it on the Microsft Cloud option this time. Lost both games. Complete pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I know you're right but I need to get some practice in before a tooled up 12 year old shoots me repeatedly in the back of the head.

Like Call of Duty single player does nothing to help you with multi player since the mechanics and weapon handling is different from single player to multi player.

To the OP I dont have the 360 version myself but a fair few of my friends got it (and keep pushing me to get it but I dread having to level up all over again) and they play it nightly, they recommend sticking to Rush on the console versions though as the Rush mode has always been designed with consoles in mind and is more suited to the smaller number of players.

Thanks for that but the issue I am having(see later post) is that my game progress keeps getting lost. I played the multiplayer for hours, saved game on the microsoft cloud and then got a message that game data corrupted. Same for both singleplayer and multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Don't save the game progress on the cloud,its corrupted for a few games, so reckon that could be the problem.

In regards to the online pass...

If I were to trade in BF3 and bought again at a later date, do I have to buy a new online pass? What would become of my old BF3 account and pass?

• Advertisement

Once you activate your pass its yours for good regardless of if you still own the game or not.Its not tied to the actual disc

Thanks.

I have the limited edition, so if I traded that in, would I need to buy another second hand copy of the LE again?

Or seeing as I have already downloaded Back to Karkand with my online pass, would a standard copy do?

Standard copy would do, the karkland limited addition just has the code to download the dlc so that'd be stored on your hard drive or if you delete it you'll be able to download it again in the market place as stuff like that is always linked to your account.

Advertisement