Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to receive channels with smart TV?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a CRT TV with UPC for broadband and digital TV. I'm looking into buying a smart TV to stream various digital channels (from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc). Ideally, I'd like to just get rid of digital TV package and upgrade the broadband package to a premium package.

My question is if I do buy a smart TV, is it possible to get rid of digital TV package (which I currently have with UPC) and yet somehow be able to stream the normal channels (national channels, Dave, E4 etc) live?

Inevitably I would think things will tend to go this way and we'll only ever need broadband access in future for phone, TV etc

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can get the Irish channels if the TV supports Saorview but other than that youll need to have some system to pick up the other channels (be it Sky/UPC for the full package or a free to air satellite system for the FTA channels).

You might be able to pick up the UPC analogue channels if you plug the TV into the connection and tune them in. Theres about 17 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

djimi wrote: »
    You can get the Irish channels if the TV supports Saorview but other than that youll need to have some system to pick up the other channels (be it Sky/UPC for the full package or a free to air satellite system for the FTA channels).

You might be able to pick up the UPC analogue channels if you plug the TV into the connection and tune them in. Theres about 17 at the moment.

Thanks for that answer. So with the Saorview box, I should be able to get RTE 1, Network 2, TV3 and TnaG - correct? Are there different types of Saorview boxes available i.e. isn't there generic ones on sale or is there a reason I should opt for the "official saorview" box?

OK, well since I'm in an apartment at the moment, any satellite dishes are prohibited so what other way can I get FTA channels?

I didn't know that it could be possible to pickup the UPC analogue channels if I plug the TV into the connection and tune them in. I probably won't try that as I'm crap at it plus I've zero patience :o

Im not that well up on Saorview but as far as I know your telly might be able to handle Saorview without needing a seperate box, so all you would need is an arial.

Without a dish the only options you have are Soarview or UPC. You could also subscribe to something like a Sky Go account (which can be accessed through an Xbox 360 or laptop hooked up to the TV) but you will only get Sky channels and its a bit pricey for what you get.

Its worth checking out the UPC analogue and see what you pick up. I just plugged the cable into the back of my TV and hit autotune.

Im not that well up on Saorview but as far as I know your telly might be able to handle Saorview without needing a seperate box, so all you would need is an arial.

Without a dish the only options you have are Soarview or UPC. You could also subscribe to something like a Sky Go account (which can be accessed through an Xbox 360 or laptop hooked up to the TV) but you will only get Sky channels and its a bit pricey for what you get.

Its worth checking out the UPC analogue and see what you pick up. I just plugged the cable into the back of my TV and hit autotune.

OK, I'm confused. Are you referring to my current CRT TV or the smart TV which I intend to get? Surely the new smart TV should be able to receive saorview without a seperate box? Should there be something in the spec that would confirm this?

Well if I get Saorview via the smart TV (without the need for a seperate box), then you're right with respect of me having that sky go option at a cost of 18 to 55 euro per month. I'd opt for the most basic subscription (18 euro) which combined with a netflix subscription (7 euro monthly) works out at 25 euro monthly but at least I've got more channels :confused:

I should be able to receive that analogue signal also with the smart TV though - correct?

Yes Im referring to the smart TV. It should able to handle Saorview but just check before you buy because its not guaranteed.

Provided the new TV has an RF port (the old style round connector with the pin in the middle) then you can tune in the UPC analogue channels.

• Advertisement

Yes Im referring to the smart TV. It should able to handle Saorview but just check before you buy because its not guaranteed.

OK but how do I check whether the smart TV which I'm shopping for online will be able to handle Saorview i.e. what specifically should I be looking for in it's spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Make sure the tv you purchase has MPEG4 which is required for Saorview..do not mix it up with FREEVIEW the english system which is MPEG2. Also ensure that is has MHEG5 which is needed to provide you with Digital Teletex, and epg for whats on now and next etc...

Personally I wouldnt buy a tv online I would suggest going to a small local retailer where you will have full support should somethink go wrong.

steveon wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt buy a tv online I would suggest going to a small local retailer where you will have full support should somethink go wrong.

This absolutely. Each to their own and I know stuff can be cheaper online but personally if Im going to spend that kind of money on something like a TV I want to know that I can put it in the back of the car and bring it straight back to them if something goes wrong.

Plus if you are unsure of what you are looking for then its better to go into a shop and ask the questions to ensure that you are getting exactly what you want/need.

Make sure the tv you purchase has MPEG4 which is required for Saorview..do not mix it up with FREEVIEW the english system which is MPEG2. Also ensure that is has MHEG5 which is needed to provide you with Digital Teletex, and epg for whats on now and next etc...

Thanks for that advice. I'll check for those.

I understand your point but wouldn't a guarantee (similar to what Dell sells with it's computers) and insurance be the same thing (which can also be purchased online)?

This absolutely. Each to their own and I know stuff can be cheaper online but personally if Im going to spend that kind of money on something like a TV I want to know that I can put it in the back of the car and bring it straight back to them if something goes wrong.

Plus if you are unsure of what you are looking for then its better to go into a shop and ask the questions to ensure that you are getting exactly what you want/need.

Well the smart TV's are definitely cheaper online as I've checked against a number of retailers. But like I mentioned previously, there are options of different types of guarantees and insurance that also can be bought with it or from an independent third party vendor.

I have been in retailers to have a look at various smart TV's, asked a few questions and I certainly could do that again. The price difference between buying online and from a retail shop doesn't justify me buying from them. If they were willing to negotiate a bit, I would reconsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a smart TV to stream various digital channels (from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc). Ideally, I'd like to just get rid of digital TV package and upgrade the broadband package to a premium package.

Thanks.

The samsung smart TV range D7000/8000 support Netflix IRL and Saorview. To view Hulu you will need a Hulu plus account and have your TV or router set-up to go through a VPN or have unblock-us or playmo DNS settings enabled, this will also enable you to view Netflix US.

You could always get a boxee, don't have one myself but i think you can access Hulu, Amazon ect through it.

I agree probably buying a tv online would be cheaper as but as rightfully said in the thread bringing a tv back in your car is way easier, if you buy online then you will have to pay the shipment fees to send product back Id imagine would be somewhere in the region of €40-50.

But if you do buy online then goto a local shop and find a model of tv that you would like and then get that exact model no abbreviation of it as many will have similar models but a different letter at the end eg a letter I for ireland a G for Germany etc that wont have the same features as here.

Wishing you luck with your decision and let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

My question is if I do buy a smart TV, is it possible to get rid of digital TV package (which I currently have with UPC) and yet somehow be able to stream the normal channels (national channels, Dave, E4 etc) live?

The national channels are not permanently streamed, but selected RTÉ, TV3, and TG4 programmes are streamed on their website and a lot more are available after their broadcast on catch-up services.

The best IPTV service available in all broadband areas is Sky Go, but its pretty much as costly as a normal Sky subscription and while the quality is very good usually, it doesn't cope with fast-moving images too well and the picture can deteriorate when there's heavy network traffic. In addition while it carries all of Sky's branded channels, there's very few (but some) non-Sky channels on it.

All Irish channels as well as a few more are streamed by Magnet on their excellent website called AerTv

http://www.aertv.ie

Belfunk wrote: »
    The samsung smart TV range D7000/8000 support Netflix IRL and Saorview. To view Hulu you will need a Hulu plus account and have your TV or router set-up to go through a VPN or have unblock-us or playmo DNS settings enabled, this will also enable you to view Netflix US.

You could always get a boxee, don't have one myself but i think you can access Hulu, Amazon ect through it.

Thanks for mentioning the smart TV range that support Netflix IRL and Saorview as I have been looking on Amazon.co.uk. However, the specification for those TV's doesn't state whether they support MPEG4 (which is required for Saorview) and/or MMPEG5 (which is needed to provide you with Digital Teletex, and epg for whats on now and next etc.). Where is this detailed? For example, I was looking at the Samsung Series D5520 but I didn't see any of that mentioned in the product description!?
    • How would I setup my TV or router to go through a VPN?
    • How do I enable unblock-us or playmo DNS settings?

Good information though... but a lot of it is new to me.

I agree probably buying a tv online would be cheaper as but as rightfully said in the thread bringing a tv back in your car is way easier, if you buy online then you will have to pay the shipment fees to send product back Id imagine would be somewhere in the region of €40-50.

But if you do buy online then goto a local shop and find a model of tv that you would like and then get that exact model no abbreviation of it as many will have similar models but a different letter at the end eg a letter I for ireland a G for Germany etc that wont have the same features as here.

Wishing you luck with your decision and let us know how you get on.

It depends on what type of guarantee and insurance you have on whatever product you purchased so it's definitely not way easier (in all cases) to bring a TV back to the retailer if it has problems. If that was the case, the huge online retailers would not be making the profit margins that they are making.

I'm first browsing online to narrow down what I want and I will then go into whatever retailers to make a comparison. It's obviously much easier to compare products, pricing and advertised features online but it's no harm to browse the physical goods in-store too.

All Irish channels as well as a few more are streamed by Magnet on their excellent website called AerTv

http://www.aertv.ie

Excellent service! That's very helpful, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Thanks for mentioning the smart TV range that support Netflix IRL and Saorview as I have been looking on Amazon.co.uk. However, the specification for those TV's doesn't state whether they support MPEG4 (which is required for Saorview) and/or MMPEG5 (which is needed to provide you with Digital Teletex, and epg for whats on now and next etc.). Where is this detailed? For example, I was looking at the Samsung Series D5520 but I didn't see any of that mentioned in the product description!?
    • How would I setup my TV or router to go through a VPN?
    • How do I enable unblock-us or playmo DNS settings?

Good information though... but a lot of it is new to me.

Its a Saorview approved product http://www.saorview.ie/product/samsung/

I don't think you can get the Netflix app on the 5 series i think its only 7 and up.

The vpn route might be over kill for your needs as you would need a router which has DD-WRT firmware installed so to keep it simple try the below which is just a DNS change.

Just to be clear you will only need this type of set-up if you are looking for Hulu/Netflix US on your tv

<MOD EDIT: Deleted>

I wasn't aware of that Saorview approved products page so that's helpful, thanks.

I was using Sortable to check for various functions and features for specific TV's which led me to believe I could get it on series 5.... but I could be wrong or sortable could be wrong.

Appreciate the links on setting up TV to stream Hulu/Netflix US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Do UPC allow new analogue subs and can you downgrade to analogue?

I know there's plenty of people still on the analogue but I thought this was a legacy situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I got a samsung smart tv, d8000 series from a company in the north called richersounds, very good to deal with and they were 700e cheaper than Harvey normans and currys and the price included delivery and 5 year warranty, if anything goes wrong with the tv, they will get it picked up and fixed foc. and it has a built in soarview and freesat box, also upc works great on it too. it also has the netflicks apps on it. richersounds have a page on boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105 ask them about a tv and they answer, great to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭zg3409

BrianD wrote: »
    Do UPC allow new analogue subs and can you downgrade to analogue?

I know there's plenty of people still on the analogue but I thought this was a legacy situation.

If you sign up for broadband only, you get analogue (channels depend on where you live) as they cannot block them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't discuss methods of breaking regional restrictions here.

Advertisement