Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 51" PS51D495 3DTV Spider Crack after 5 months

Options
  • 01-03-2012 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi There guys.

I´ve been pulling my hair out over the past few days, and it is bound to get a lot worse.

I bought a Samsung PS51D495 3DTV in Expert Electrical, Tullamore on 29th Sept 2011. Took it home, set it in situ in the sitting room, the room gets very little use, only for the RARE purpose entertaining guests/clients in our home.

On the 26th FEB, on my way back from the RDS Music Show (Exhibitor), I recieved a phone call from my wife, who in a panic, tried explaining that our TV doesn´t work anymore, So i asked her what happened, She eexplained that while watching the Voice of Ireland with my mother and my father, the TV flickered twice, the tv began to buzz, then she heard a loud popping noise, and at that stage the master RCD in the house engaged.

My father, who is an electrician, restored power to the house and they found that the TV did not work anymore, Sound yes, but no image, it was then on closer inspection that they realised the TV had generated a "Spider Crack" internally on the screen.

To clarify about the TV, it has only had about 20 hours use MAXIMUM, as my wife normally watches the soaps in the living room, which has it´s own TV, We have a 2 month old baby, so that rules out the kids being responsible, and we are professionals, so we dont have any mad parties or that sort, in fact, we never keep alcohol in the house.

MONDAY MORNING: I contact Expert Electrical RE the issue, explaining carefully the events the evening before. I was advised that they would send a service company MF SERVICES of glasnevin, who are an authorised samsung service depot to collect the TV and sort it out. the salesperson also asked me to photograph/Video any evidence of internal cracking before they collect it, and keep a detailed report of when it was placed in situ, and who was doing what when the incident occoured. Happy at this point.

TUESDAY EVENING 5pm: MF Services call to my premises and the engineer examines the TV, he relates to me that the crack is internal, and based on the condition of the TV (Treated like a baby from day one and never even smudged with a fingerprint) it is more than likely a TSC (Thermal Stress Crack) which is fully covered under warranty. He also remarked that it was an "Common" problem, and reassured me that everything would be hunky dory. Expert then called me to arrange a loan TV, albeit a 26" LCD, i was outstanded by their gesture. Happy at this point.

WEDNESDAY MORNING: got a call from MF services who inform me that my TV has suffered "Physical Damage" and therefore warranty voided. they quoted me in excess of "Over Five Hundred Euro Boss". I remarked this was ridiculous, and as the cracking was internal, and also based on the actual amount of time the tech had to look at it (Approx 2 hours) that the inspection was innaccurate and false, I then noted that i was well informed on the fact that as there was no damage externally, it was a manufacturing "defect", and as it was under 6 months old, could be deemed that way. he then remarked that it was probably best to <SNIP>

I then rang Expert to relay this information to my original salesman, who also is handling this case, on his day off, he has explained that it is probably too expensive to repair, but will try to sort it out, He knows me personally, and have bought our entire households white goods from him.

It is not an uncommon issue for samsung to call it "Physical damage" when it should be deemed a defect, as they try to dishonour the warranty this way, and if you google "Samsung internal Spider Crack" there are hundreds of customers who have experienced this.

What i want to know is, what recourse to I have, considering it is under 6 months old, has not been subjected to "Physical Damage" and what MF services are saying is untruthful and for the want of a better word, are calling me a liar!!

if this had happened in the middle of the night, and god forbid, our home was subjected to a fire because of it, it would be a whole different ball game, but i´m not going to be screwed by a company who are acting in the best interests of their employers, in this case, Samsung.

i do believe i have a contract with expert, and can rescind it, but i thought i might ask here before i consult Expert tomorrow, and possibly my solicitor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

plenty about this on the web
    http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-340997/internal-crack-on-my-tv-panel/
    and thousands of other pages. Issue since 2009.

But the problem with these companies is they will try and fob you off with "the warranty says" when the warranty is of no value whatsoever as your rights under the sale of good act are far stronger.

I've just had an issue with HTC and the cost of repair they were arguing about was €10.82!!!! - Three.ie were not happy with HTC's handling and provided me with a new replacement. (though those on the Android forum think HTC did right!!!:eek:)

So rather than deal with the monkees in MF Services, only dela with Expert - as a group they buy a hell oif a lt of Samsung product and can simply send it back for full credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Go back to Expert and explain that you are not happy about this. The TV is defective and keep all communications on file in case you decide to go to the SCC. If they don't sort it out then I would bring it to the SCC but you have to give them the chance to sort it out.

You have to deal with Expert and not MF Services or Samsung, it's up to Expert to deal with them... Your contract is with Expert.

To be honest from that link, this seems to be an ongoing problem so I cant see that you would have any issue with getting this problem resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes, your contract is with Expert, where you purchased the TV. Under Consumer Law, and assuming the TV suffered no undue wear & tear on your part, you are entitled to refund, repair or replacement.

Talk to someone in Expert, preferably a manager. Be reasonable, don't go in spouting consumer law (as that just annoys people). If you're not getting satisfaction at this point, then you can let him know that you will proceed to the Small Claims Court, if things are not resolved within XX working days.

The Small Claims Court is very easy to use, costs a nominal fee and does not require a solicitor. It is designed for claims under €2,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 infinityband

Being honest, FM Services & Expert involved me directly as my details were passed on from the Tullamore store as a contact reference.

Fm services standpoint, from their opinion is that they will go by what Samsung say and a 5 minute "Look" at it determines, and it is also their opinion that the hundreds of "LIARS" with these problems have all damaged their sets, simply by watching TV. and I believe that Expert will more than likely follow FM Services report, however misleading and inaccurate, as i have witnesses to the "Fireworks". they have disregarded the condition of the TV (like BNIB) and the fact that their own techs marked (NO EXTERNAL CRACK) on the job sheet.

I did however request a second thorough check to be carried out on the panel for evidence of excessive force, to a microscopic level, and i was intelligent enough to record a video of the front panel being in perfect condition by carrying out 3 simple tests

1: Running my fingernail over the area to prove no cracking
    2: got my wife to do a test with a pencil and paper, something similar to a leaf trace to show any visible cracks
    3: placed baby powder over the area and wiped it off so that if there were any external cracks, the powder would stick in the crack. i also showed its effectiveness by writing my name on the screen with my finger and powdering that area also and using the same method, proved that the powder would in fact adhere if something was there.

Bottom line, i´m not going to let them talk their way out of shafting me for EUR1000.00. they´re going to have to prove that it was "User Damaged". i think they will have a long hard time with it, as i have said before, it is minded like a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Sounds like youve covered your bases then so. You should be grand. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

UPDATE:

MF Services have informed me that they are "Inconclusive" with their findings, they admitted, there are NO external marks, scratches or chipping/dings that would lead them to believe the TV was subjected to a force of any nature. it´s the first time they have ever seen it, so they have submitted photos to Samsung for "The Final say" (I Can´t believe they actually said that)

This can only have one ending, and it´s BAD, especially if you have read this thread:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-340997/internal-crack-on-my-tv-panel/

SAMSUNG........ THIS is how you physically damage a TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncGrpYVBpA&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They should also be submitting the findings to Expert, as that is where your contract of sale lies, and who you should be targeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

while watching the Voice of Ireland

That's your problem right there, I reckon. poor tv just couldn't face it anymore :)

lol, probably

Just an update, which should deem the matter closed, Samsung have come back through MF and the good news is they are going to honour the warranty, as there are no signs of external damage, which is a good thing, as my eyes are strained looking at a 26" tv!!!!!

a fine collaboration between expert and MF services, and i can say i am extremely happy with the outcome.

well done guys!

Advertisement