Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard (was - Bird of prey identity)

Options
  • 29-02-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi y'all,

Looking to ID these birds if possible. Spotted in Co. Kildare. Soaring and circling. Calling constantly - high pitched "eep" sound, kind of a screech. Thought they were eagles of some sort but I don't really know if there'd be eagles over Co. Kildare. Not 100% sure if there were eagles reintroduced to Wicklow.

I'm guessing it's a red kite.

There were four of them - two adults and their young perhaps. The constant communication made me think the youngsters were getting trained in, but then it's probably too early for them to have young.

Anyway, the pictures are terrible, but hopefully good enough to get an ID from.

I had a great time chasing the feckers, really wish I'd gotten a little closer.

Think a falcon flew over my head after they'd gotten away from me. Wasn't even able to manage a bad picture of that.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is it not a Kestrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I don't think so.

A kestrel's wings seems to end smoothly - these guys wings ended all raggedy, like a hobo's jackets.

The guy in this thread got a nice Red Kite picture - looks nothing like mine and not really the same shape. But the white patch on the wings match in shape and position.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055974642

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Judging from the wing tips and the tail it might be a sparrow hawk?

I would have thought that circling high in the air wasn't typical sparrowhawk behaviour.

I'm far from an expert though, but I thought they'd have been down in the wooded area beside me, not high above it.

Looked a bit bigger than a sparrowhawk I think too. Must stress that I'm not an expert - photographer first, birdwatcher second.

Thanks for the replies so far, lads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The shape and white colour underneath the wings make it a Buzzard for me!

Were the calls short and fast, or slightly drawn out but constant?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I would have thought that circling high in the air wasn't typical sparrowhawk behaviour.

I think Sparrowhawks do it a bit when they're "presenting", but prob dont stay in the same area for too long doing it either.

Soaring and circling high in the air is typical Buzzard behaviour though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Definitely Buzzards.

Definitely buzzards? Red kites would be more exciting :)

Just looking at my bird book and a buzzard has less raggedy wing edges than my picture (or a kite).

Also, a buzzard tails is skinnier.

Are buzzards more common than kites and more likely to be seen in Kildare?

Had been thinking buzzards as well but my bird book doesn't have them as being in Ireland.

The calling was short - not drawn out. And over and over, a good bit.

Thanks everyone!

Just looking at my bird book and a buzzard has less raggedy wing edges than my picture (or a kite).

Also, a buzzard tails is skinnier.

Are buzzards more common than kites and more likely to be seen in Kildare?

Had been thinking buzzards as well but my bird book doesn't have them as being in Ireland.

The calling was short - not drawn out. And over and over, a good bit.

Thanks everyone!

Buzzards are becoming more and more common, and seen a lot all over the Eastern half of Ireland (but only as of the last 10-15years really, most of my bird books dont say they're here either!). And overall they're more common than Red Kites alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Would have to agree that they are buzzards. See them regularly on the new link road between Athy and m9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. :)

Below is a short video I shot a few weeks ago of six Buzzards circling and calling.

http://youtu.be/3kIrH2gHf-w

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Defo buzzards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hi y'all,

Looking to ID these birds if possible. Spotted in Co. Kildare. Soaring and circling. Calling constantly - high pitched "eep" sound, kind of a screech. Thought they were eagles of some sort but I don't really know if there'd be eagles over Co. Kildare. Not 100% sure if there were eagles reintroduced to Wicklow.

Only Red Kites have been re-introduced to Wicklow - the eagle projects are in Kerry and Donegal. I would be 99% certain the birds you saw were buzzards going on those pictures and their behaviour(which is typical of the species at this time of year).

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Seems pretty conclusive, Buzzards it is.

Will have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm home.

By the way, any opinions on whether they were with fledglings or is it to early?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

By the way, any opinions on whether they were with fledglings or is it to early?

Way too early - adult birds are only now starting courtship squirmishes. Any fledgings won't be on the wing till the middle of the summer at the earliest:)

PS: Got great views myself of 3 buzzards engaging is some magnificient courtship behaviour just today:cool:

I think I mentioned below that I had emailed Damien from the Golden Eagle Trust.

He got back to me and confirmed they were Buzzards. Most of you guys knew that already but what struck me as interesting was that Damien said if there was suitable habitat for Buzzards it was suitable for Red Kites and they would get there eventually, it was "only a matter of time".

Thanks again to everyone for contributing.

Hope to spot more Buzzards over the summer and beyond.

Also plan to go to Avoca soon with the hope of seeing some Kites.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Buzzards are really making a great recovery in Ireland. According to the the golden eagle web site on sighting they have been seen in every county in Ireland except Clare. Poor Clare but I'm sure there are some lurking in that county.

http://www.goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=45&search_species_id=4&search_observer_id=sight

Advertisement