Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine - sticky grey residue on cotton clothes

Options
  • 29-02-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

hey, I'm getting a very annoying grey sticky residue on cotton clothes after typical 40-50 degree washes. It's either the water (it is slightly hard), the machine (in rental, it's been badly maintained, have done best but...) or the powder.... so my question is how can I clean the machine to get rid of any chalky & sticky undissolved powder in the machine's piping, any foaming products?...I've tried the baking soda, vinegar etc solutions but suspect this machine is manky inside..

ta for any help

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could try a couple of things .. check in between the folds of the rubber door seal and the innards of the detergent dispenser tray (these usually just pull out for cleaning) where a lot of slimy gunk tends to accumulate in my experience.

I don't know whether the stuff they advertise on the telly, Calgon, does any good, but it might be worth a try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I had this posted in another post but it's the same issue:

The lower temps being used in modern washing machines (40deg) is not dissolving completely all the washing powder leaving a slight residue of washing powder on the drum of the machine. This build up after some time until you notice grey/white marks or streaks on clothing.
    Remedy - perform an full cycle on the hot wash with an empty drum to clean residue of the washing machine drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I had the same problem and this was recommended to me by an actual engineer who came to service the washing machine (he said he did this himself). In an empty washing machine put in approximately a cup of bleach in the dispenser drawer. Run the highest heat wash (mine is ninety degrees) full wash. When finished run another empty wash about 40 degrees just to eliminate the smell and any possible bleach residue. This solved my problem.

Also the engineer said that the reason for the build up can be caused by using actual pour in liquid detergent he suggested using tablets. I'm just using which ever is cheaper to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

ta very much for the advice lads, much appreciated! i thought the liquid detergent\tabs would be better but going to go with a better quality powder\tabs in future and hot empty maintenance washes... gotta love boardies! ;)

update... ran a 40° wash with a cleaner called Keep It Handy washing machine cleaner, only €2 per box and it seems to have sorted it out for now at least. tbc...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement