Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which direction do you think USD\EUR will go in next 6 months?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have savings held in a USD account which I expect to need back into EUR by mid-summer or autumn at the latest). But I'm struggling to understand what direction the EUR/USD rate is moving in?

Up? Down? Relatively static?

Am I better off converting it into an Irish Savings account now (e.g. Rabo) or wait until the summer? Which is less risky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

<
    that way.....

Are we talking lots of USD? Ball park figure?

Have you priced up with rates today?

Do you like the € amount?

Yes, transfer funds.

Depending on amount you could book a rate with an Irish bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mprgst78

gbh2930 wrote: »
    I have savings held in a USD account which I expect to need back into EUR by mid-summer or autumn at the latest). But I'm struggling to understand what direction the EUR/USD rate is moving in?

Up? Down? Relatively static?

Am I better off converting it into an Irish Savings account now (e.g. Rabo) or wait until the summer? Which is less risky?

Get out of all paper assets and buy silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Just in relation to this, I'm heading over to the States in the summer, would anyone who knows their stuff about the currency market recommend changing my € to $ now?
    Or could the rate improve in the next 3 months?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Exchange Rates

Current End Mar End Jun End Sep
    EUR/USD 1.32 1.27 1.27 1.27

Apologies for formatting - I cut and paste this in from Bank of Ireland's economist monthly update....

http://corporatebanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/publications/general-publications/bank-of-ireland-forecasts-feb-2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The answer is - there is no answer. Nobody knows which direction currencies are going to go and even if there is such a person, you can be damn sure he isn't wasting his time providing free financial advice to strangers.

Be sensible and hedge which for a private consumer like you means split the money into quarters and exchange it in four stages between now and when you need to travel. That way you'll avoid being stung by any major spikes in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭HowFinancial

Today it stands at 1.32, in 6 months Euro will probably decrease against dollar to 1.25

Advertisement