Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binomial Question

Options
  • 29-02-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Evaluate
    n
    ∑ k(n-k)
    k=0
    I know that this is to do with binomial identies. I have searched way to many books in the library for a similar example, and I came came this question in Alan Tuckers book but it didnt have an example :(. So is there anyone wo could shed some light on this question for me. Do I assume its true then solve for n+1 or something :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

k(n - k) = nk - k^2

k varies, n is fixed. Do you know a formula for ∑k and for ∑k^2 ?

The sum can start at k = 1 because the terms involving k = 0 contribute zero to the sum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If it helps, Σk² is known as the "square pyramidal number": e.g. if you stack cannonballs in a square pyramid, k rows high, then Σk² is the number of cannonballs in the pyramid.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Thanks Iderown and bnt,

I realised that I had a formula for ∑k and ∑k^2 and put something down but I didn't know how to finish it. But I found out that it wasn't being marked and only a couple of people in my class got it anyway so it isn't too bad. Thanks anyway for your help, you can always rely on boards when you are desperate :D

Advertisement