Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Allen stirring it up again!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

He retracted one thing later.
    Might've been a bit harsh a few hours ago in my tweet. Not all Chinese people are ignorant. I stand by everything else though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

He retracted one thing later.

This guy Mark Allen has a serious chip on his shoulder about something, he keeps rubbing people up the wrong way and has been doing so since he started playing on the circuit.
    As i said before in a previous thread, he has had a go at Barry Hearn and his new regime, he has since apologised and had a clear the air talk with Hearn.
    What he was moaning about is beyond me,the pro tour went from a season with six ranking events and one invitation event to a season now with over thirty events, the prize money available has nearly trippled and Hearn claims within two years the prize money will be £10 million pounds!

Now he has a go at the hosts of the current event, China. He insults their country and the people, he is obviously not out to become popular in China, but i'm sure he knows that China is now a snooker power and that with five events next season over there he should learn to respect the country.
    None of the other players have ever moaned about their trips to China and if they did it was probably only about the long flight over and back, mind you with the majority of them flying business class at least it's a long flight in comfort.
    In this age of recession every tournament on the calendar has a sponsor and with the majority of them being Chinese Allen should choose his words more carefully. China has hosted snooker events since the early eighties when Hearn brought his Matchroom stable of players over, snooker is incredibly popular over there and with star players like Ding Junhui snooker is there to stay.
    I wonder how Allen would feel if Ding came and played in Belfast and slagged off his country?
    Like many on these forums i've been to China, but i've been there for snooker events and i could'nt speak highly enough of the people, their politeness and their love of the game.
    If Allen feels so strongly about China and the game in general than maybe he should choose another sport, as a player i admire Allen greatly but as a person i don't really have much time for him at all.

I agree there should be an element of freedom of speech for the players to voice their opinions etc, there is an AGM every year too where they can air their grieviences but to make disrespectful remarks like Allen did today is not on and i hope he's punished for his actions.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

He's spot on about the arena. It's a converted sports hall with dodgy floorboards round the table...

Advertisement