Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!! i ticked no on are you Australian resident

Options
  • 29-02-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

hey guys and girls , i received my first days wages as i started on a Friday.. i ticked no on the form asking are you an Australian resident.. i was just wondering can i change this.. just to let people know i am on 25 an hour done 8.5 hours and got taxed 61 dollars, that seems very high to me. so my main question can i change it to yes by ringing or emailing somebody

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭emfitz

You can get your employer to change the form.. I did the same thing by accident.

When you do your tax return at year end you should tick resident for tax purpose and would get it all back anyway. It was a nice little saving scheme last year i didn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mine was on non-resident for near 4 years, didn't even realise until I became a PR and checked with HR if being a PR made a difference.... they changed the tick box on the SAGE software to resident.

It made a bit of a difference to my monthly pay but my tax refund was sh*t compared to the previous years. Swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah just ask HR .. or else fill teh form out again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

are you meant to tick yes if you are on a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

are you meant to tick yes if you are on a visa?

It is up to you, residency for tax purposes gives you a tax free allowance of 6k and 6k-30k salary taxed at 15%. If you select no you are taxed at 30%.

But the key is your intent to stay in one area or a job for a while, technically this is what defines it, most people are tax residents.

You hear a lot of backpackers saying they get all their tax back, in reality it's cause they were a resident for tax at the end of the year and get a windfall back, or else they earnt less than 40k (I think this is the low earners bracket)

Again this is an agreement between you and the tax office. Most people will and should select 'Yes'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Either you tick yes now, and pay less tax weekly, and get less back.
    Or you tick no now, pay more tax, and get more back.

In the end, the total tax you pay, and the total take home is the same.

Advertisement