Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mba best option? (pharmacist)

Options
  • 29-02-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

i am a pharmacist working in community pharmacy.
    my plan was always to open up my own pharmacy but with the cuts to community pharmacy that is no longer the lucrative option it once was. Wages are also down to fairly poor levels.
    I am thinking of doing an MBA. I am hoping it will enable me to combine my pharmacy and business knowledge and prehaps work for a big pharmacy chain/pharmaceutical company in a business role.
    I'm looking to move away from pure pharmacist jobs.

i may also in the future be interested in buying an existing pharmacy (if the sector improves) or other business.

WOuld an MBA be the best option for me with regards to my intended career progression and also with regards to potential buying a business or are there more appropriate courses out there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

I came here for more or less the same thing except not in Pharmacy. I was told by a friend to look up IMI website by a friend. Is there any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

what are the best allernatives to an MBA given my situation?

My preference would be distance learning/night courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

kdowling wrote: »
    what are the best allernatives to an MBA given my situation?

My preference would be distance learning/night courses.

I did my MBA through distance learning with Laureate / University of Liverpool and graduated last year. It was hard work doing it this way.

An average week would start on a Thursday with an essay posted and 1500 words to be completed with 5+ quality references due by Saturday night posted to a class forum. Group work would be ongoing during the week and it was mandatory to comment on other students essays again citing references to back up arguments and 5+ posts had to be made of this kind. A final 1500 word essay was due in on the Wednesday evening. On the final week this could be the group work. Referencing in the main was done via the online library.

If you've worked in business and have a sense of cop on then intellectually it isn't that much of a challenge to pass, but it is a real war of attrition making sure you completing all the essays. There are 8 x 8 week modules to complete plus a dissertation at the end of 15-20,000 words.

Would I do it again? Yes and I would do it the same way. I got into a routine fairly quickly to enable me to do my work on time and in some cases I was able to take the laptop away with me and complete weeks in a module whilst I was on holiday. The final degree is no different from the one I would have done had I taken the year out and done a full time course but this way I could carry on earning and progressing in my career.

Advertisement