Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring bi-polar condition in job application

Options
  • 28-02-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I was diagnosed bi-polar in 1999, have taken lithium ever since and it has never affected my ability to do my job. I have been offered a fantastic new job subject to medical. The medical form asks about mental illness.

My GP gave me two options: he knows about my condition so if he signs the form I will have to declare it or else I can find a doctor who doesn't know me and don't mention it.

However if the company finds out it could cause dismissal and recurring problems when it comes to references. So my tendency is to go the honest route and declare it. However many people have a stigma about bi-polar and I have no idea how this company will react. Has anyone else been in this position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

If you can provide evidence from previous good references that since taking medication you have had no major incidents at work ........ then I would go down the honest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Katy89

I don't know what kind of job this is but I never had a company where I should answer such question and I find it inapprobriate/unnecessary.
    Why do they want to know it?

Personally I wouldn't want to work for a company where I should answer such private questions.

Isn't there actually a law (eu-law) which forbids this kind of question in a job interview?Not sure.
    for me it's in the same category with the question to a female applicant whether she's planning on having kids in the near future.

you give them your honest CV, references and they can make themselves a picture of the applicant in the potential interview. that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I didn't have to declare it for my job, but I do only work part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

Katy89 wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of job this is but I never had a company where I should answer such question and I find it inapprobriate/unnecessary.
    Why do they want to know it?

Personally I wouldn't want to work for a company where I should answer such private questions.

Isn't there actually a law (eu-law) which forbids this kind of question in a job interview?Not sure.
    for me it's in the same category with the question to a female applicant whether she's planning on having kids in the near future.

you give them your honest CV, references and they can make themselves a picture of the applicant in the potential interview. that's it.

This company is not in the EU and had already offered me the job based on interviews and references before they asked me to fill in a medical questionnaire. Honesty didn't pay because I told them about my bi-polar condition and now they want a psychiatrist to interview me for 1.5 hour on the phone and also talk to my doctor then report back to them. I haven't needed a psychiatrist in my life for 12 years and don't feel like I need one now. This company is only thinking of its own best interests and I resent their intrusiveness. I have checked the disability discrimination act in their country and believe they may be in breach of this at this stage. However the salary is great so I am trying to co-operate but they seem like a company that doesn't have much sensitivity to people with disabilities especially mental ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Alwayson wrote: »
    However the salary is great so I am trying to co-operate but they seem like a company that doesn't have much sensitivity to people with disabilities especially mental ones.

It may be the case that they just don't have much understanding of mental illness. There probably is a fear that you will implode one day and the company will be liable for your actions. If you can convince their psychiatrist that you are as sane as most people then that will be a better approach than starting to quote the law at them.

Remember that they are looking for the best person to do a job. They have already decided you are that person you just need to prove to them that they made the right decision. Most people like to be proved right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I work in the PS and over the past 10 years I have had to declare this on my pre-employment medicals.

It's all above board in that you are interviewed and offered the job and then this is the final stage. I was only required to meet with a doctor once to discuss my form.

Initially I freaked out when presented with the form for the first time but I went down the honesty route. You are covered by legislation and *touch wood* should anything ever happen at least you can rest assured that you gave a full disclosure when asked.

neelyohara wrote: »
    I work in the PS and over the past 10 years I have had to declare this on my pre-employment medicals.

It's all above board in that you are interviewed and offered the job and then this is the final stage. I was only required to meet with a doctor once to discuss my form.

Initially I freaked out when presented with the form for the first time but I went down the honesty route. You are covered by legislation and *touch wood* should anything ever happen at least you can rest assured that you gave a full disclosure when asked.

Thanks. This is for a job abroad. Today I was interviewed on Skype for 90 mins by a psychiatrist acting for the company. This was the first time in 12 years I have been with a psychiatrist and he dredged up everything back to the traumatic events that led to my being diagnosed. He is now going to speak to the two doctors I have had since then to verify what I told him. I also had to send him copies of blood tests. It was difficult for me to go through all this again - he was more like a private detective. He is of course working in the interests of the company, which is in turn concerned with its own reputation, so it was quite an invasive process. At the end I asked for his opinion about attitudes to mental illness and anti-discrimination policies in his country compare with Europe. He claimed they are the same, but I have never had to do anything like this in any European country I have worked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I suffer from a mental disorder and lied my whole life, and achieved loads. When I was honest about it, I lost everything. My advice? Never mention it to anyone and just get on with it. You'll get nowhere by being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm out of work at the moment with a mental health difficulty.
    My understanding boss told me the week before i took leave that my next contract would be in doubt if I took leave, that it wouldn't look good to the bosses higher up, that he could tell me to pack my bags and leave his branch immediately and that my future career was in doubt.
    I pointed out that my health was a bigger priority than my career. His resonse? "well, it shouldn't be"
    and this was in the course of a "supportive" conversation
    I had to leave anyway. HR playing the whole thing down.

By the way, I fully disclosed the problem when I first got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Katy89

Conas wrote: »
    I suffer from a mental disorder and lied my whole life, and achieved loads. When I was honest about it, I lost everything. My advice? Never mention it to anyone and just get on with it. You'll get nowhere by being honest.

can back this up from own experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Conas wrote: »
    I suffer from a mental disorder and lied my whole life, and achieved loads. When I was honest about it, I lost everything. My advice? Never mention it to anyone and just get on with it.

+2

Was advised by career guidance at college not to disclose it. I felt forced into disclosing it later though and it didn't do any good, if I was in the same situation again I'd only tell ppl I'm really close friends with, not work mates or superiors.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

would you mind me asking what country we're talking about? don't answer if you don't want to, just curious.

tbh wrote: »
    would you mind me asking what country we're talking about? don't answer if you don't want to, just curious.

Australia. After a 90 minute Skype assessment by their psychiatrist, they have decided to proceed with the offer, but propose to include clauses in the contract which state I have to get a GP as soon as I get to Oz, I must take my medicine and I must take regular blood tests. I do this here anyway but have never had it enshrined in an employment contract. My first reaction is that it's quite invasive, possibly even an infringement of my rights, but I still haven't seen the contract so will reserve judgement until then and maybe get advice from a solicitor. Anyone else experienced this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

get a local (Australian) solicitor to advise you. They would not have paid for a psychatrist and legal advice if they were not certain about you

This whole thread makes me very sad. Society still has such a long way to go in terms of understanding the nature of mental illness. This is very crude and insensitive treatment, no diabetic would ever be bound by their contract to take insulin for instance, and the notion that your employer should have legal control over your health is surely an infringement of your rights.

Best of luck with the job, I hope the company turns out to be more compassionate than they've demonstrated so far.

Advertisement