Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch suttable for Ironman training - with HRM/GPS/Waterproof

Options
  • 28-02-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Lookinng for some advice, pls

Entered for IM Frankfurt 2012

To aid training I'm looking for a watch with HRM, GPS which is water proof

Not keen on the Garmin 310, too bulky

Spend is limited

Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

seofra wrote: »
    Lookinng for some advice, pls

Entered for IM Frankfurt 2012

To aid training I'm looking for a watch with HRM, GPS which is water proof

Not keen on the Garmin 310, too bulky

Spend is limited

Help appreciated

I'm afraid you are looking for something that doesn't exist.

A cheap, slim line, waterproof HRM with GPS. No such thing sorry.

An expensive chunky all in one waterproof HRM with GPS yes - garmin 310xt or the more expensive 910xt

An expensive slim line HRM watch with additional GPS pods, foot pods and bike sensors, yes. The new Polar RCX5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 seofra

Thanks Tunney
    Thought it was a tad optimistic, as have done some research
    If I were to forgo the 100% waterproof requirment

seofra wrote: »
    Thanks Tunney
    Thought it was a tad optimistic, as have done some research
    If I were to forgo the 100% waterproof requirment

Garmin 305 - only looks bulky but not noticeable at all in weight terms when wearing

Can be used under swim-hat in swim in zip-lock (only way to get accurate reading from swim in any case as gps on wrist doesn't get a good reading)

Use bike mount on bike section, cadence sensor available

Cheapest option also - €130 for watch + hrm, €20 bike mount

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Don't over look the Polar RS300x with GPS for €210ish.

Fine it won't give you the nice maps a Garmin or more expensive models will give you.

But it is waterproof, will read HRM data underwater, will give you pace, time & distance info to the watch so is good for bike or run, has advanced training options and can be uploaded to computer (optional upload device)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

To cover waterproof, hrm, reasonable price point, supposedly not chunky, you have the Timex Run Trainer.
    However, it is more aimed towards the runner than the triathlete, so if you need cadence/power meters, then this may not be the one for you.
    But if you're not too worried about that front, then it may be worth considering.

Mine is in transit at the moment, so I can give a better idea after it arrives & I've used it for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

To cover waterproof, hrm, reasonable price point, supposedly not chunky, you have the Timex Run Trainer.
    Don't expect any swim data though. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Advertisement