Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading graphics card and ram

Options
  • 28-02-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading my graphics card from a 512mb to maybe a 1g graphics card. Currently I am running vista with 2gbs of ram.

Should I upgrade the RAM along with the graphics card?

thanks
    Mic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Can you give us your full specs?

Do you know what your PSU is?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Memory is not a benchmark of performance anymore m8. There can be 2 cards with 1gb memory and gap between them will be extremely huge.

Say what what sort of spec is your pc and what sort of power supply it has.

Then tell us your budget amd what you expect to get.

As for ram:

Ram speeds make very little difference. You want more ram or faster ram is a question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 youcanfindmike

A buddy asked me to upgrade the pc they were the details I got off him, wont see the pc myself till friday evening. Just want to make sure it's possible to upgrade it.

I do know the capacitors blow on his old graphics card (all of them), if that is of any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 youcanfindmike

Memory is not a benchmark of performance anymore m8. There can be 2 cards with 1gb memory and gap between them will be extremely huge.

Say what what sort of spec is your pc and what sort of power supply it has.

Then tell us your budget amd what you expect to get.

As for ram:

Ram speeds make very little difference. You want more ram or faster ram is a question here.

He is a gamer so which ram is best?

I will asked him, how much spend on upgrading his pc.

How much do you think he should be looking to spend?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

He is a gamer so which ram is best?

I will asked him, how much spend on upgrading his pc.

How much do you think he should be looking to spend?

thanks

Untill I won't see actual spec of pc I can't give you any estimates. For each person budget is different. Who knows, maybe his pc is very old and there is no point upgrading it. Get spec and get his max budget, then we can work from here.

Elam wise there is no such thing as gaming ram. Ram speeds make deck all difference these days, so better of just stick with basic cheap ones. 8gb is max you ever will need. In fact 4gb is enough these days. Most of load is on gpu now, not ram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement