Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you keep the money?

Options
  • 28-02-2012 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

So C&H' er's, as some of you may have seen, in After hours, someone found 300 quid on the street, not his, and decided to keep it. Hmmm. Would you keep it? Or hand it in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Just read through that..

No, I Wouldn't keep it. I'd make an effort to find the owner myself, put 'Sum of money found' etc in the area it was found. If that failed I'd hand it in to local Gardaí. The guilt alone would eat me alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

If I found €300 in the street, I'd hand it in to the police. That's a lot of money for anyone to be carrying, and they'd surely notice it was gone. You might get a reward out of it.

The other side of me would say go into the nearest shop and buy something extravagant though- that way the guilt of having it wouldn't affect you for too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'd probably hand it in, I don't think I could keep that amount;. I'd be thinking that anyone who could afford to lose that much probably wouldn't have it on them; they'd use a credit/ debit card. I know the only time my mum ever carried that much was when she was going to get the weekly shopping after getting her dole money and child allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

€300? I'd hand that into the Gardaí. That's a substantial amount. Sure, I'd like a new iPod and all, but I'd rather earn my money and not be a cunt about it. The person who owned it might need it.

A €20 note or something? I'd probably have a different attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i'd probably hand it in or try to convince myself that some absent minded drug dealer had lost a bit of cash while out "working" and keep it. but i'd never keep more than 50 if i found it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Has the person who found it never heard of charity?? Jesus if they didn't want to give it back there are so many people who could've done with the money. And they wouldn't feel like the gobshíte they are if it was given to charity either, so it's win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I'd hand it in to the Gardaí and if no-one claimed it within a year and I was given it back I'd give it to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I'd hand it in, I'd hate to be the one to have lost the money only for someone to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Well it's mighty difficult for me to say I'd keep it now :P I'd consider myself quite a moral person (I recently handed €1 back to the person behind the counter in Centra cos they'd given me the wrong change, for example), but I think it's quite unlikely that the money would make its way back to the person if I handed it into the Gardaí. I think giving it to charity is a good shout as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Usually what people say isn't exactly what they'd do :P

Found 150 quid before in the middle of the street and even though my friend wanted to keep it, I gave myself 50, her 20 and then gave the rest to the charity our school backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Usually what people say isn't exactly what they'd do :P
    I've handed in money I've found before at school, even if it was just a fiver I'd hand it up to the office. Pity more people don't do the same; I once lost fifty euro at school I brought in to pay for my mocks, never to be seen again. Some people are just selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Lawliet wrote: »
    I've handed in money I've found before at school, even if it was just a fiver I'd hand it up to the office. Pity more people don't do the same; I once lost fifty euro at school I brought in to pay for my mocks, never to be seen again. Some people are just selfish.

Ya and fair play but tbf, I'm not saying people here would do it, but if put in that position, alot of people would say they'd take take the moral high ground and be all "omg, i'd so give it in and be good and stuff" but really, would at least keep some of it/all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I would hand it in or give it to charity. I would feel it was not my money to enjoy, dirty money of sorts. I would feel guilty with it.

This one time I found a rather substantial sum of money in dollars (hundreds and hundreds). Where it was it was obvious it had been there undisturbed for a long, long time so I thought it would be difficult to find the owner. I gave it in to my local church who were having an appeal for the floods in Pakistan or the earthquake in Haiti, I can't quite remember. But yes I would most certainly give up any money. It's not yours and you lived without it before so try do some good for people who really need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Honestly? I'm not sure what I'd do. I've never been in that situation before. I know right now though that, seeing as I am completely broke at the moment, about 20c in my pocket and 2 euro in my account, if I did see a 50 euro note lying around of course I'd take it. I'm sure I need it more than whoever may have lost it. But again, it's all hypothetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

id keep it :) if someone is careless enough to not have to worry about the €300 in their pockets, then they're probably not gonna miss it if they lose it. plus im kinda lacking in morals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Maybe I am really heartless... But I'd probably keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I'm not sure if I would take any of it although it would be really tempting. If I was so inclined at the time I reckon I would keep about €50 of it and hand in the rest. No way on earth could I keep it all, I'd be racked with guilt. If whoever lost the money got €250 of it back and I get to keep €50 for my troubles then I'd see that as a win/win situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Achtung!

I think it depends where you find it.. I always seem to find money. If I find it in a shop I hand it up but if its just randomly on the street I keep it could it could be belonging to anybody. I found €50 before just folded up on the street..I kept it.. and it was awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The fella in the thread actually handed it in eventually :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Wow.... I never new C+H was full of such moral upstanding citizens.... :pac:

€300 I'd hand in. I'm a strong believer in karma (Christ knows it's kicked me in the hole too often for me not to believe in it...) and I'd constantly be waiting for the time I'd leave my wallet somewhere and no one would hand it in. Plus, you'd feel much better getting a €20-50 reward and a heap of gratitude of the owner than you would keeping it. AND there's also the possibility no one would claim it from the Garda station and then you'd get it anyway knowing you've done the right thing.

That said... I'd probably keep a €50 note if I found one, though that's a grey area. Definitely would keep a €20 note I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

this happened to me actually,about 2 years ago I found €50 on the street on a night out. The next morning I handed it in to the Garda station.I completely forgot about it untill I got a letter from the Garda station a year after with €50 inside:D. The way I see it if I had pocketed it there and then then that would have been stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I once found a fiver in the school yard when I was in primary school. I gave it to the principal and he gave me a tenner out of his own money because I was honest. Was chuffed with meself that day :p

I'd keep the 300 though in all fairness. Anyone stupid enough to be careless with that amount of money doesn't deserve it handed back to them IMO :L If I lost 300 quid I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to give it back to me :L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd probably hand it to the nearest garda station with my contact details so if nobody claimed it they could call me up and apply the "finders keepers" law.

There is a "finders keepers law", right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Piste wrote: »
    I'd probably hand it to the nearest garda station with my contact details so if nobody claimed it they could call me up and apply the "finders keepers" law.

There is a "finders keepers law", right?

you must know some very moral gaurds;)

I myself, would keep it.
    don't see the good in handing it in, seeing as most people would just keep it then anyways:rolleyes:

theres no real way of proving the money lost is yours, really.

if it was in a wallet, now that's a different story.

people can say they'd give it up, but i bet if they were put in the actual position it'd be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Isn't there some thing that says you have to keep it for a year and a day?
    My cousin found a wallet with €800+ in it in Debenhams once and he handed it in to the manager. Since there was no ID/credit cards, they called him after a year and a day and sent it to him.

Once I found €50 outside my local post office and my mam took it from me "for safe keeping". I never got it back from her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

There definitely is some law in relation that if it's not claimed after a year you get it. Happened us with a few bikes over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'd keep it. How is someone going to prove that it's theirs? If it was in a wallet I'd hand it in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Without a doubt, i'd keep it. I'd go and put it into my Bank Account straight away.

Sorry to be really sneaky about it, but if I was put into that situation, 300e is a hell of a lot of money, especially to a young person who's depending on Students Grants to educate himself.

*Just the truth, please don't get offended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Without a doubt, i'd keep it. I'd go and put it into my Bank Account straight away.

Sorry to be really sneaky about it, but if I was put into that situation, 300e is a hell of a lot of money, especially to a young person who's depending on Students Grants to educate himself.

*Just the truth, please don't get offended!

Hahah, I'd probably do the same... or else enact this scenario

*Finds 300euro on the ground*

Goes to the local garda station

"Hey, I found this 50euro note on the ground"

happy-meme_00278742.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Wow... I did not expect that to be that size^^^

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID :pac::pac:

Advertisement