Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner 110

Options
  • 27-02-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi

My wife has just started training for her first marathon in october and I want to get her something which will track the distance she runs. Is this any good? She runs quite a lot through a local forest and I'm wondering will it record distance on a dirt track. Is it like a car Garmin where it will only recognise roads? or would it track distances running through fields?

Sorry if its a stupid question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hi

My wife has just started training for her first marathon in october and I want to get her something which will track the distance she runs. Is this any good? She runs quite a lot through a local forest and I'm wondering will it record distance on a dirt track. Is it like a car Garmin where it will only recognise roads? or would it track distances running through fields?

Sorry if its a stupid question?
    I run in various forests and yes it tracks it perfectly , its not like a car gps it doesnt have roads and stuff programmed into it , it just tracks distance speed pace elevation and whereever you are.
    I bought the 205 as it gives excellent signal tracking which would be more important in areas with tree cover. They are a great product

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It wont be quite as accurate as using it in the wide-open, but it'll work fine. Car GPS devices have a road-lock when navigating/routing (where they try and stick to the road), but running GPS devices do not do routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Interested in the 110 myself,sorry to hijack but......

Will it give say 1 mile/1k times as i do them in a race or will it just give a summary at the end?
    Sorry if it is a silly question but a total novice garmin wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

dahat wrote: »
    Interested in the 110 myself,sorry to hijack but......

Will it give say 1 mile/1k times as i do them in a race or will it just give a summary at the end?
    Sorry if it is a silly question but a total novice garmin wise....

Good question. I second it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

you can set it up to do 1km or 1mile splits and makes a beep to let you know when but sometimes you miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

you can set it up to do 1km or 1mile splits and makes a beep to let you know when but sometimes you miss it.

Grand job,it is more for training really than racing.
    It seems to be suited to my needs so hopefully i can convince the missus it is a worthwhile expenditure,just like the new runners were!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

dahat wrote: »
    Grand job,it is more for training really than racing.
    It seems to be suited to my needs so hopefully i can convince the missus it is a worthwhile expenditure,just like the new runners were!!!

If you want an entry level Garmin, a 110 or a 305 ( or 205 if you dont want the HRM) are the best value ones.

The basic differences are

The 110 looks like a real watch and is very easy to use - you just press the one button and off you go, but it has very limited functionality.

The 205/305 is a bit big and ugly but has loads and loads of features.

Current prices on Amazon.co.uk

110 no HRM £101stg
    110 HRM £128stg
    205 no HRM £90stg
    305 HRM £140stg ( The 305 is often 20/30 quid cheaper than this).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Have decided to get one of these myself, sounds limited but it's all I'll ever need really: how far and how fast!

Did any of you buy one in the end and if so where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

being honest about it i'd stay away from the 110's and pay that little bit extra for a 405 or 410 or an older spec 305.I have a 110 and i've stopped using it because it was very bad to locate satellites and would act up while out on runs,few lads in the club are having problems with them also so it isn't isolated and one of the lads works in a sports shop and says a lot of people have been bringing them back.I was very happy with mine at first as it is simple to use but got frustated when i'd go for a run and it'd be acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

psychozeb wrote: »
    being honest about it i'd stay away from the 110's and pay that little bit extra for a 405 or 410 or an older spec 305.I have a 110 and i've stopped using it because it was very bad to locate satellites and would act up while out on runs,few lads in the club are having problems with them also so it isn't isolated and one of the lads works in a sports shop and says a lot of people have been bringing them back.I was very happy with mine at first as it is simple to use but got frustated when i'd go for a run and it'd be acting up.

110 is junk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Can you elaborate on 'junk'? Functionality, performance/reliability or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rom wrote: »
    110 is junk
    Have you used one? For how long? How many miles have you clocked up? What's wrong with it?
    Personally, for my needs, I think the functionality is a little too simple. It's a stop and go watch. However, I've never used one, so can't comment on how useful it is as an entry level watch.

Have you used one? For how long? How many miles have you clocked up? What's wrong with it?
    Personally, for my needs, I think the functionality is a little too simple. It's a stop and go watch. However, I've never used one, so can't comment on how useful it is as an entry level watch.

The lack of ability to do interval training is the big minus for this watch. If you could then it would be an ok watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's not 'junk', it has its uses.

I have a 310xt and a 110. I use the 110 3-4 times a week.
    I use it on all my easy runs, and simple runs (10 easy, 20 steady etc..)
    Its not great if you are running intervals but its still usable.

mloc123 wrote: »
    It's not 'junk', it has its uses.

I have a 310xt and a 110. I use the 110 3-4 times a week.
    I use it on all my easy runs, and simple runs (10 easy, 20 steady etc..)
    Its not great if you are running intervals but its still usable.

That's my point. You got a 2nd watch also. You don't use it all the time. If you had to drop one of your watches would it be the 310xt or 110. If its the 110 then that's the problem. It's a watch. I ain't insulting your first born :)

Advertisement