Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentified Spider (sorta freaking me out!)

Options
  • 27-02-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Any ideas?

It's hard to make out (I'm terrified of spiders, so he's in a glass), but his back is cream with black spots, his legs are a transparent sort of cream colour, and he seems to have two large brown pincers on his head.

He also rears up and runs at the glass at whatever angle I happen to be standing, which is a tad unnerving for something I found on my bathroom floor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Can you give an idea of its size?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Can you give an idea of its size?
    Its about the size of a two euro coin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Get a photo

The photo attached was the best I could get without lifting the glass, and I'm terrified of spiders so that wasn't an option. In any case, OH put him outside for me, so he's gone now. Was just curious as he doesn't look like a regular house spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Female house ?

• Advertisement

E39MSport wrote: »
    Female house ?

Hmm, definitely the right size and shape for a female house, although judging from pictures the colour and pattern on her back are way off the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

That looks like a Funnel web. Used to see them in Australia, dont go near it, they kill!!:cool:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

richiek67 wrote: »
    That looks like a Funnel web. Used to see them in Australia, dont go near it, they kill!!:cool:

god help us if the Sydney Funnel Web has shown up on our shores.....:pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    richiek67 wrote: »

god help us if the Sydney Funnel Web has shown up on our shores.....:pac:
    Was just thinking that myself :S

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

I think it's Amaurobius similis, especially as you found it in your bathroom. Nothing to worry about. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I think u should let him out the back window and give the poor fella a chance ;)

Got to admit that Im a total coward when it comes to spiders, but i do go out of my way to save them sometimes.

Got one fella in the corner of my room and have been threatening to 'set him free' one of these days ..... if I can pluck up the courage .

I consistantly watch a group of spiders out my back shed over the last 5 years . They are terribly interesting creatures.

Sometimes they get into combat to take the corner position and it is great to watch the manoeuvrings as one out-smarts the other.

They are also so aware of everything that happens in a room, and can detect nest eggs (food) from quite a distance.

*goosebumps just thinking about them*

Advertisement