Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats

Options
  • 27-02-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure I just saw one fly about the tree line.

Too early?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Your thread just brought this thought to the front of my mind again.

It might be a good time to contact farmers encouraging them to put up bat boxes with this damned Schmallenberg virus on the loose. Bats eat a lot of midges!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

E39MSport wrote: »
    Pretty sure I just saw one fly about the tree line.

Too early?

Certainly not - most Irish bat species take full advantage of our "variable" winters and make the most of any mild weather. Given the lack of winter this year I'd say many didn't bother hibernating in the true sense of the word at all!!

PS: Fair play JG - when the bats move in, you should invite the Galway Bat group for a visit to see what species you are hosting:cool:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty sure I've been seeing bats flying around the last couple of months. not sure they hibernated at all this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I saw 3 of them in Bettystown, Co.Meath last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I saw them on the canal in the middle of february. Just up at the Suir road bridge. It's the earliest I have seen them, but I don't cross that way very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Went into the old boiler room behind my garage about 2 1/2 weeks ago and one flew over my head. Don't know whether it lives in the attic space above or just flew in when I opened the door.

Advertisement