Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mizuno Waverider and Precision

Options
  • 27-02-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭

Hi There, need to pick up my next pair of shoes, as my existing Mizuno Precision (11s) are nearing end of life. Has anyone tried the new models, e.g.:
    Mizuno Waverider 15
    Mizuno Precision 12
    .. and have any feedback on them?

I didn't like the Waverider 14s at all, but from previous discussions, Mizuno were restoring the 15 to a similar fit/ride to the 14. Also, anyone know how different the Precision 12 is to the 11?

One other thing I noticed - Mizuno prices seem to have gone way up. Used to pay €65 - €100 for the Precisions, but price seems to be €110+ these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

just on prices this is across the board with most brands.

eg Asics Kayano rrp was 145 and now 155-60
    eg Mizuno have gone up 10euro with most models
    eg Broosk the same as Mizuno
    new Balance holding the same price.

So far the new rider have been very good feedback and the inspire also.

Just a note Asics have introduced another price hike in june/july

New Nimbus will set you back 160euro :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

For steady runs I have mostly used the Nike Pegasus (25 - 28) and for a while the Nike Vomero's 4 but I found the latter too wide.
    For the last no of weeks on my long runs I've been using the Wave rider 15's.(Thanks Kevin AK, Ballymount) First first time wearing any Mizunos and I have zero complaints. A good pair of shoes for my feet

Just a note on the precisions I found the new model less flexible around the arch which provides a lot more support and less torsional movement.

Theboyblunder was wearing them and we where both fascinated by the difference when testing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

just on prices this is across the board with most brands.

eg Asics Kayano rrp was 145 and now 155-60
    eg Mizuno have gone up 10euro with most models
    eg Broosk the same as Mizuno
    new Balance holding the same price.

So far the new rider have been very good feedback and the inspire also.

Just a note Asics have introduced another price hike in june/july

New Nimbus will set you back 160euro :mad:

Alot of these shoes are manufactured in China.
    Year on year 20% wage rises there and no sign of it slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Abhainn wrote: »
    Alot of these shoes are manufactured in China.
    Year on year 20% wage rises there and no sign of it slowing down.
    Well, that accounts for €3.12 for each pair of shoes. Where's the other €106.88 coming from? :) Increases in fuel prices (raw materials and finished product) probably account for a certain amount of increase too. Still, not much point in considering changing brands, if all of the shoe companies are hiking their prices.

Did you not try the Precisions while you were in AK?

• Advertisement

Just a note on the precisions I found the new model less flexible around the arch which provides a lot more support and less torsional movement.
    Theboyblunder was wearing them and we where both fascinated by the difference when testing them.
    Do you know if there is a weight difference too? Presumably more support comes at a cost, or is it just rigidity?

Sorry I meant the Precision 11 was more stable and did weigh slightly heavier 10ounces against 9.3 in the 12's

Well, that accounts for €3.12 for each pair of shoes. Where's the other €106.88 coming from? :) Increases in fuel prices (raw materials and finished product) probably account for a certain amount of increase too. Still, not much point in considering changing brands, if all of the shoe companies are hiking their prices.

Did you not try the Precisions while you were in AK?

Precisions bigger change than the rider for a training shoe so best to play it safe with London coming up.
    Nike elite on your list now???

Sorry I meant the Precision 11 was more stable and did weigh slightly heavier 10ounces against 9.3 in the 12's
    Do you have the Precision 12s in the shop (size 10 uk)? I have a 10 mile run at lunch tomorrow, and B2R happens to be exactly 5 miles away. Will bring clean socks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On the subject of Kayanos, the outlet store in Kildare have the 16s for €70, what's the current model, 17?

Nike have the Lunar Guide 2 also for €70 but I understand that's not so cheap these days.

Didn't buy either as I want to get down to the lads in Ballymount or Bray to be reassessed and for proper advice.

• Advertisement

Current model is 18's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was thinking that afterwards, last pair I bought were 15s a few years ago. Now I can't remember what version they had for sale, possibly 17s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Do you have the Precision 12s in the shop (size 10 uk)? I have a 10 mile run at lunch tomorrow, and B2R happens to be exactly 5 miles away. Will bring clean socks. :)

Im late coming to this thread - but felt it important to post.

DO NOT BUY the precision 12s. I ran in waverider 13 and precision 11s (multiple pairs) without problems. However, these shoes gave me PF. I had it within days of running with them, and am just getting rid of it now one year later.

When you bend the shoe they bend at the arch - not the ball.

When you bend the shoe they bend at the arch - not the ball.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree here and Mizuno shoes last year where a big let down.
    They seem to be better than ever now in the rider and inspire.

DO NOT BUY the precision 12s. I ran in waverider 13 and precision 11s (multiple pairs) without problems. However, these shoes gave me PF. I had it within days of running with them, and am just getting rid of it now one year later.

Are you sure you're not confusing the Precision 11s and 12s? I thought you had trouble with the Precision 11s (the orange ones). The 12s are not available that long (earlier this year). For a bit of balance, I've had four pairs of the 11s and one pair of the 12s and have never had any trouble with any of them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As above, never had an issue with any of the precisions, and have both 11s and 12s.
    Only bad shoe was the wave rider 14 IMO.

Just got 15s which hopefully will work out more like older models. Was looking at precision 13 but I can't stand black shoes, but if can find them in a different colour way will give them a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Whats PF? Just asking cause I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave8 a few months ago and the first time I did a long run in them (16k) I got a really bad pain on the side of my foot. I put it down to the socks I was wearing but it was sore for a few weeks. That was ages ago and then a few weeks ago I ran 30k and afterwards my left foot was sore over the middle. For the last couple of runs the instep of my right foot has been sore. Now I can't decide if its my crappy feet to blame or the shoes:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Whats PF?

Plantar fasciitis, more here

Are you sure you're not confusing the Precision 11s and 12s? I thought you had trouble with the Precision 11s (the orange ones). The 12s are not available that long (earlier this year). For a bit of balance, I've had four pairs of the 11s and one pair of the 12s and have never had any trouble with any of them.

No confusion - precision 11s good, precision 12s very bad IMO.

Bend the 12s - you'll see that they bend at the arch (middle of the shoe basically) as well as at the ball of the foot. This puts pressure on the plantar fascia apparently and is a real no-no in running shoe design. As far as i know (am open to correction) shoes should bend only at the ball-of-foot area.

Glad you didnt have problems with them, but they (together with the WR14) banjaxed me for ages.

No confusion - precision 11s good, precision 12s very bad IMO.

Bend the 12s - you'll see that they bend at the arch (middle of the shoe basically) as well as at the ball of the foot. This puts pressure on the plantar fascia apparently and is a real no-no in running shoe design. As far as i know (am open to correction) shoes should bend only at the ball-of-foot area.

Glad you didnt have problems with them, but they (together with the WR14) banjaxed me for ages.
    I have a brand new pair of 11s and a pretty new pair of 12s (one marathon on the soles) so I'll give them a bend this evening (<- insert bender jokes here!), and see if I can observe a difference. I see Wiggle lining up to see the Precision 13, but the only difference (apart from the awful colours) is a new upper, so I presume if it does have issues, then these will be carried into the new model.

• Advertisement

you'll see it alright, put a pit of pressure on them.

Im delighted with these at the moment. They look like how i'd imagine a pimps running shoe, but they feel great. Havent felt this comfortable on the forefoot since the WR13

20157-2_1_700x700.jpg

Advertisement