Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in chain

Options
  • 27-02-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever found a hole in one of the links in their chain (not the ones for the pins)? Amy idea how it got there? Should the link just be replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Maybe a stray shot from your local deer hunter?

A picture would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ah it will just make it lighter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Like this?

sram-powerlink-silver-chain-connector.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lumen wrote: »
    Like this?

sram-powerlink-silver-chain-connector.jpg

OMFG. I've never had a chain with a powerlink before. Shut this thread down before I embarass myself any more.

Also a sign I should clean my chain more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OMFG. I've never had a chain with a powerlink before. Shut this thread down before I embarass myself any more.

whats a powerlink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

stevieob wrote: »
    whats a powerlink?

Only the greatest invention ever.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Only the greatest invention ever.

so its a cryptic thing then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

stevieob wrote: »
    whats a powerlink?
    It's a link that allows one to open and close their chain without having to break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Careful though, not all powerlinks are reusable.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Careful though, not all powerlinks are reusable.

PowerLock = 10sp, non re-usable.
    PowerLink = <10sp, re-usable.

I just bought a 10sp Wippermann chain with re-usable link, haven't fitted it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

PowerLock = 10sp, non re-usable.
    PowerLink = <10sp, re-usable.

I just bought a 10sp Wippermann chain with re-usable link, haven't fitted it yet.

Really?

I have a 10sp Shimano chain with a power link (which seems to be fairly unusual given what I've read). I opend it a few weeks ago to take the chain off and give it a decent clean and just reattached it. Should I not have done that?

Whats the point of having a power link on a 10sp chain so, if it's not re-usable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Whats the point of having a power link on a 10sp chain so, if it's not re-usable?

Powerlocks can be broken and reattached with tools, but not with bare hands. It's not officially supported; Some say it's due to patent issues with Wippermann.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

Powerlocks can be broken and reattached with tools, but not with bare hands. It's not officially supported; Some say it's due to patent issues with Wippermann.

Maybe I'm missing something :confused:.............................. but, if it's not re-usable, why would you be reattaching it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Maybe I'm missing something :confused:.............................. but, if it's not re-usable, why would you be reattaching it??

You're missing something:

I was cleaning my bike last night and look what I found :)

picture.php?albumid=1790&pictureid=12102

Update: I fitted this last night. It is very easy to separate and re-connect with normal finger pressure.

Advertisement