Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gaming Build €850 budget.

Options
  • 27-02-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

My laptop died 2 weeks ago so i'm looking to replace it with a good machine.
    I'm going to play games like COD:MW1,2,3,Black Ops, Bf3 (medium-high capability is fine),League Of Legends, Lineage 2.
    This will be my first time building a pc so I'll need help.
    I can live on a 60gb ssd till i get a storage hdd.
    I'd like a nice looking case if possible.

1. What is your budget?
    -€850

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    -Yes, I'm a student so I could get the upgrade edition.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    -No

5. Do you need a monitor?
    -Yes
    5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    -18.5" or higher

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Keyboard+Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    -Not really

8. How can you pay?
    -Bank Transfer/Laser

9. When are you purchasing?
    -In about a month and a half hopefully.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    -Dorset Street, Dublin 7/1

What builds can you guys recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Something like this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €750.40 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2300 Box, LGA1155|€157.39
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€53.78
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.60
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.43
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€69.00
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.95
    BenQ G2225HD|€100.98
    Powercolor HD6950 2048MB Dual-DVI|€235.64
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.63

There are a couple of new graphics card coming out soon-ish, so you might end up changing that, but this is a rough idea of what to expect. This includes a 21.5" monitor, and leaves room for Windows, as well as about €25 for a keyboard and mouse (don't get a keyboard from this site, as it will be German layout).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Something like this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €750.40 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2300 Box, LGA1155|€157.39
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€53.78
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.60
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.43
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€69.00
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.95
    BenQ G2225HD|€100.98
    Powercolor HD6950 2048MB Dual-DVI|€235.64
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.63

There are a couple of new graphics card coming out soon-ish, so you might end up changing that, but this is a rough idea of what to expect. This includes a 21.5" monitor, and leaves room for Windows, as well as about €25 for a keyboard and mouse (don't get a keyboard from this site, as it will be German layout).

Thanks, would you be able to help me build it?

I'm in Maynooth usually, but I might be able to make a trip up to give you a hand. If I can't though there are plenty of other people here that would be happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

If im not mistaken someone posted on the forums that hardwareversand will build your pc for 5euro.

But you should give it a go yourself as its relatively easy.

Heres a short video with instructions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYKYkwaqevY

Yeah, they will (excluding any heavy heatsinks/video cards). Honestly though, I'd build it yourself, It's great to know how, and it's really not that difficult. You'll also have plenty of help from everyone here if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

I work a few minutes down the road from you on Parnell street. I only really have an hour or so during my lunch at 1pm to help out and according to google maps it takes 15 mins to get to Dorset Street from Parnell Street (Im up in office block above Pennies). I have good experiance in building computers ( just finished building another one 2 days ago)

Rather than getting someone to build it for you i would encourage you to try build it yourself, there are plenty of step by step guides on what to do and online video tutorials to follow. But if worst came to worst i wouldnt mind helping.

Feel free to add my on Skype, my Skype name is Nirnias. Im usually logged onto it during work.

I'd be willing to build it myself but i feel like i would mess up somewhere.
    that site you linked says they do it for €5.

Nirnias wrote: »
    I work a few minutes down the road from you on Parnell street. I only really have an hour or so during my lunch at 1pm to help out and according to google maps it takes 15 mins to get to Dorset Street from Parnell Street (Im up in office block above Pennies). I have good experiance in building computers ( just finished building another one 2 days ago)

Rather than getting someone to build it for you i would encourage you to try build it yourself, there are plenty of step by step guides on what to do and online video tutorials to follow. But if worst came to worst i wouldnt mind helping

What tools would i need?

luyolo wrote: »
    What tools would i need?

A screwdriver. :)

It's not that difficult, really. I'll second Nirmias' and say that I'm also available on Skype if you need help. I go by the same name there too.

Pretty much all you would need is a philips head screw driver yes. Though I do it often so i got myself a little kit that makes it easier.

Cant go wrong with an antistatic wrist band, if you cant get one of those just be sure to touch the metal case of the computer every now and again to discharge yourself of any static.

This is a variation of the kit i got for building PC's cheap as chips:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Electronic-precision-Tool-kit-25-pc-cutters-screwdriver-/280695864785?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item415ac6fdd1

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    A screwdriver. :)

It's not that difficult, really. I'll second Nirmias' and say that I'm also available on Skype if you need help. I go by the same name there too.

Don't have a computer to go on skype with. i'm in my college's open lab atm.
    I will try to build it myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'll help you build it, I'm only 15min away.

One thing to be wary of is to build it outside of the case first, and place the mobo on the mobo box, on top of the anti static bag that it comes with. And then test each individual component, i.e Put in processor and 1 stick of RAM, Short the power switch with the head of your screwdriver to turn it on, It should beep a few times (provided you have your system speaker plugged in or the mobo comes with one)

Do a google search for "BIOS Beep Codes" for a list of what the beeps mean.

Then add another component, rinse and repeat until there are no beeps.

I made the mistake with the build i made last weekend of being cocky and putting it all together and booting it up... Took me about 6 or 7 hours to figure out what was wrong by taking it all apart again, reassembling it and testing each component. That was on saturday.

On Sunday i build another PC for my friend, and did it the component by component way.. Had it finished within 2 hours... derp

So as they say, slow and steady wins the race

can you guys suggest a good desk for the pc and a comfy chair?

Advertisement