Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Crown

Options
  • 27-02-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

One for the rugby fans.......

Wales won the triple crown at the weekend, beating England in their 3rd of 5 6N matches. One of the commentators said that the match against England was a triple crown decider. I said, 'It's not because England can't win the triple crown today - they have still to play Ireland'. My son said 'That's a pity because if England had played Ireland, last week - having beaten scotland in the first week it would be a winner takes all triple crown match. I said that No, with a 6 team championship and every team playing each week it is not possible to have two teams playing each other for the triple crown in week 3.

Am I right? What's the proof, either way?

For the non rugby followers amongst you. The triple crown is a tournament within the 6N. It is competed for by Wales, Scotland, Ireland & England and is won by the team that beats the other 3 - Wales won it on Saturday beating England having already beaten Scotland and Ireland. It takes place during the 6 nations which also includes France and Italy. The 6N takes place over 5 weekends with each team playing each other once and there are 3 matches each weekend, 15 in total (6C2).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Nice puzzle and yes you are right. If wales and England play a triple crown decider on week 3 then on weeks 1 and 2 none of the triple crown teams could have played France or Italy. This means that both France and Italy must have had a week off on one of first two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Leaving aside your puzzle, which is indeed interesting and cleverly answered by equivariant, you could argue that the commentator was correct in the following sense: the match did decide whether or not Wales would win the triple crown. That is, it was a triple-crown decider match for Wales. (Not a decider match between England and Wales winning the TC.)

Advertisement