Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrist Damage

Options
  • 27-02-2012 12:14am

I started thai boxing last summer but didnt wear proper gloves or use paddng. Stupid I know but I didnt know how important they were.
    Anyway I have no bone damage but have ligament damage. I cant put any weight on them for example it gets sore even after one press up.
    Its been 7 months since I stopped but no improvement.
    Has anyone had a similiar experience?
    And if so do you have any advice on how I can improve the strength and flexibility in them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

It sounds like you should see a doctor. Though they will probably refer you to a physio to build up the strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 champski

dkeely wrote: »
    I started thai boxing last summer but didnt wear proper gloves or use paddng. Stupid I know but I didnt know how important they were.
    Anyway I have no bone damage but have ligament damage. I cant put any weight on them for example it gets sore even after one press up.
    And if so do you have any advice on how I can improve the strength and flexibility in them.

What was your trainer doing while you were wrecking your hands on the bag or pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

dkeely wrote: »

you can basically go 2 routes at this stage, either go to the doctor and they will most likely tell you to rest them, could give you anti inflammatories too-this could take any lenght of time as seen as its been 7 months and no improvement

Or do exercises to strenghten the wrist muscles, the forearms basically-maybe buy a pair of them hand squeezer things, keep your body weight off them, such as press ups etc for now till you build the strenght back up.

the weight bearing exercises such as press ups is the rest you need for the wrists

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ligament damage like that wheterher it be wrists or shoulders etc can take months, even years.

I had a very sore left wrist last year for no apparent reason. I train, hit pads and bags, but never injured it. Maybe it was simply a fluid build up. I mean, it was squeaking. Had it for almost a year, and then it disappears. Strange. And, has not resurfaced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement