Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KTM Strada 2000 vs BMC Streetracer SR 01

Options
  • 26-02-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys,

Finally decided to take the plunge and get a road bike. I'm a complete beginner so I think an aluminum frame will stand up better to my spills. I've a budget c. EUR 1200 and I'm torn between the two bikes above. Links here:

KTM Strada 2000
    http://www.ktm-bikes.at/road/road/road-aluminium/Strada2000.php?lang=EN

BMC SR01
    http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bikes/2012/road/model/streetracer/sr01/sr01_tiagra.html

I know the difference exists between the 105 and Tiagra groupsets, but I was wondering which frame offers the most opportunity for progression. I'm hoping that in 12 months time I'll be looking to upgrade but I'd like to be able to get a bike now with a frame that would compliment upgraded components instead of being a limiting factor.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Don't know the BMC brand, but the KTM looks good. With 105, I'm not sure if you'd need to upgrade any time soon. Has a carbon fork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Don't know the BMC brand, but the KTM looks good. With 105, I'm not sure if you'd need to upgrade any time soon. Has a carbon fork too.
    Ahem, this guy rides a BMC

2011_tour_de_france_stage21_cadel_evans_yellow_jersey_paris_arc_de_triomphe1a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnie

My car probably cost less than Cadel's bike!

Both have carbon forks. What I'm wondering is which bike frame is best. Or is it a matter of just picking one and getting some miles up for a complete beginner??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

dunnie wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is which bike frame is best. Or is it a matter of just picking one and getting some miles up for a complete beginner??

I have the BMC Streetracer SR01 with 105 and I'm loving it, don't really know anything about KTM. Another one to look at that might suit you is the Felt F75, eurocycles have them on special for €1200 at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm actually looking at the bmc aswell. That or a bianchi (name escapes me)

The bmc looks like a good buy with the 105. Think a boardise got one. There was a thread. Seach bike for 1300 and it should come up

• Advertisement

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at the bmc aswell. That or a bianchi (name escapes me)

The bmc looks like a good buy with the 105. Think a boardise got one. There was a thread. Seach bike for 1300 and it should come up

That was me, just posted ahead of you, I've done just under 300km since I got it and I'm loving it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnie

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the felt. I saw on another thread you got the sr01 recently. Lucky man. I was told there's an 8-10 week wait for one. It would have been my first choice but the wait is making me think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Or is it a matter of just picking one and getting some miles up for a complete beginner??

That sounds like a good idea, you wont go wrong with either.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the felt. I saw on another thread you got the sr01 recently. Lucky man. I was told there's an 8-10 week wait for one. It would have been my first choice but the wait is making me think twice.

There could be, I was lucky in that the suppliers had one 60cm frame left in stock, so I only had to wait a few days for it to be courier'd over to the shop and built up.

It's much nicer than my old bike, but I'd imagine all bikes in that price range would be much of a muchness, the felt f75 in eurocycles was second on my shortlist :)

Advertisement