Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsonite S-CAPE Cabin Bag

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Ryanair and Aer Lingus max dimensions for carry on are 55 x 40 x 20.

Also that bag is very heavy at 3.6kg, over a third of your 10kg carry on allowance wasted.

Better option is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

correct size at 55x40x20 and less than 1kg (660g) and much cheaper at £ 25

if you really need wheels/handle cabin max have one like that for a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭gipi

That very light one from amazon is even cheaper if you buy it in purple!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B006Z49UF6/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

James. wrote: »

Also that bag is very heavy at 3.6kg, over a third of your 10kg carry on allowance wasted.

Better option is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

The weight of cabin baggage is never checked at the boarding gates. They don't have the facility. Just dimension checks. And FWIW, the aer Lingus green metal thingy which they use for this purpose is smaller than ryanairs.

And you linked to a backpack. Not like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

dodzy wrote: »
    The weight of cabin baggage is never checked at the boarding gates. They don't have the facility. (...)

Mine has, several times and directly at the gate. They used portable scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

The airlines seem to be checking up more and more. The last few times we have flown, hand baggage has been checked for size (in the metal rack) and weight, so be careful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I got this in Brown Thomas sales for around the same price, maybe less. I haven't checked it out on the flights yet, but until recently I've been using a much larger Samsonite from the 1990s. 'Small' for its time, but enormous today. All the same, I've rarely had problems with it, even with Ryanair. But as a rule I don't fly Ryanair. Things may be changing, but the worst I've seen it get with Aer Lingus is them checking bag sizes on a fully-booked flight. Purely practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

The weight of cabin baggage is never checked at the boarding gates. They don't have the facility. Just dimension checks. And FWIW, the aer Lingus green metal thingy which they use for this purpose is smaller than ryanairs.

The weight is checked occasionally by Ryanair at the gates and every bag is weighed in Stansted.

Aer Lingus metal cage is bigger than Ryanair's even though they have the same cabin baggage dimension allowance.

On Aer Lingus Regional/Aer Arran flights the dimensions allowed are smaller due to smaller overhead bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Quaderno wrote: »
    Mine has, several times and directly at the gate. They used portable scales.

Mine too. Got weighed last week on the way back from Liverpool with Ryanair. Think they're starting to be strict on baggage, last three times I've been away they've checked anyone who looked too big. I presume it's a money maker for them so they're bound to enforce it i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

It is 100% checked in Stansted by Ryanair - probably other sites too so be careful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I have one of these and could not rate highly enough great buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

gerire wrote: »
    I have one of these and could not rate highly enough great buy

I nearly bought one of these yesterday but the users comments re the hole in the top which lets in rain put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

James. wrote: »

I had this one by Cabin Max and was never asked by Ryanair to have it weighed or checked - travelled on about 8 flights and always had it filled up to the 10kg limit.

PS. Sorry for going off topic OP

BUT, I have to confess I can't recommend it as it tore along lining of the zipper on the top. Would have expected better tbh.

This happened about 8 months after purchasing so I emailed Amazon who refunded me - no hassle at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 polishing peanuts

I will chuck in my vote for the cabin max too, but not the one with wheels. 9 or 10KGs is easy to 'hand carry' or backpack it.

Keeps hands free and more importantly elbows during the boarding scrum that is Ryanair these days *smiling*

It made so much difference to us travelling as a family of four (176L and 40kgs for FREE!) I wrote a huge review with photos about the Cabin Max on my blog!

I think there is a new version now though, I think that they learned a lot from the customer feedback/hassles they had over the wheeled version's handle being too tall. Like I say, the standard one works for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

I will chuck in my vote ...

Thanks for taking the time to advertise on behalf of a luggage brand yet again.

Both of your posts pushing the same brand, and your homepage link is directly to your article on the brand not the homepage of you blog.

Anyone might think that your glowing review and professional pictures are from someone connected to the company or rewarded for advertising! It takes dedication to keep going back, keep updating the article, posting comments and posting on web-pages and forums all over the place!

Any reason you keep asking people to post comments on your blog and suggesting they post links to it to 'help' people? Been reading up on SEO have we?

You agreed not to advertise when signing up to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I bought 2 cabin max holdalls last year following on from a thread on here.
    I have to say that I have had not a jot of a problem. I use mine to carry my laptop, tablet books, mp3 player, phones and passports when I am traveling, and when I am not going on a plane I use it for bringing my laptop and folders to college.
    my laptop is a 15.7 inch and the tablet is the hp touch pad.
    These fit very comfortably in the cabin max and even when flying I never had a problem with anyone checking the bag. they just looked at it and in the case of Aerfungus gave me a little tag to put around it to say it was checked.
    I have managed to get more than 10kgs in in when traveling and again nothing said, that was even with ryanair.

I gave one to my sister when she was going to london and also the wife used hers when she was going to london with her mam. never a problem with them.

HappyHarry wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to advertise on behalf of a luggage brand yet again. Anyone might think that your glowing review and professional pictures are from someone connected to the company or rewarded for advertising! It takes dedication to keep going back, keep updating the article, posting comments and posting on web-pages and forums all over the place!Any reason you keep asking people to post comments on your blog and suggesting they post links to it to 'help' people? Been reading up on SEO have we?You agreed not to advertise when signing up to this forum.

No advertising or connection with Cabin Max HH! I wrote the review ages ago when they first came out and at that time there was nothing like them for space/weight. Everything else was too small and too heavy. Of course there are lots of alternatives around now. They have however, saved us hundreds of pounds a year in luggage fees.

Re the blog, I don't believe I have asked anyone to link to it and the comments come all the time from people asking for help, which I always answer! No shenanigans either, I set up auto alerts when I write something so I get mailed if someone is asking a Q about something I wrote about, is all. I did wonder about responding to this but as it was in the bargain alerts I did.

And you're right, the link should be my home page, duly changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Sorry but not very believable.

The 'review' you wrote "ages ago" has been updated a few times with pictures of new products, and you post comments about new products before they were even released! You even post about other products by them that you are not recommending.

I said you suggested people link to your review, not asked. In a comment you wrote "p.s. Feel free to link to the page to help others!" and in several comments you asked people to post comments.

I suppose it's just a coincidence that your domain is hosted by the same people that host the domain of the brand?

What was it that brought you to boards.ie in the first place and then made you decide to sign up just to post about these bags?

HappyHarry wrote: »
    Sorry but not very believable. The 'review' you wrote "ages ago" has been updated a few times with pictures of new products, and you post comments about new products before they were even released! You even post about other products by them that you are not recommending. I said you suggested people link to your review, not asked. In a comment you wrote "p.s. Feel free to link to the page to help others!" and in several comments you asked people to post comments. I suppose it's just a coincidence that your domain is hosted by the same people that host the domain of the brand? What was it that brought you to boards.ie in the first place and then made you decide to sign up just to post about these bags?

I clearly have some work to do with you Harry! Sorry but I don't know how to find out who else is with Hostpapa, it's a shared server so I imagine that there are lots of sites there. I don't actually know who makes the bags, it says gismos at amazon but the stuff I got with mine was from gadgetuk. Sure I update old pages, be irrelevant if I didn't. Agree that it would be a big coincidence if they also used a server in Canada! I was living in New Zealand at the time I signed up as they were cheap. Re coming to the board, a, its huge and a good read and like I said I set up alerts for some topics I wrote about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ah lads...

ta.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

*laughing* Well, I do live in Norway now......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

No advertising or connection with Cabin Max HH! I wrote the review ages ago when they first came out and at that time there was nothing like them for space/weight. Everything else was too small and too heavy. Of course there are lots of alternatives around now. They have however, saved us hundreds of pounds a year in luggage fees.

Re the blog, I don't believe I have asked anyone to link to it and the comments come all the time from people asking for help, which I always answer! No shenanigans either, I set up auto alerts when I write something so I get mailed if someone is asking a Q about something I wrote about, is all. I did wonder about responding to this but as it was in the bargain alerts I did.

Like HappyHarry says - not very believable.

Unfortunately, Polishing Peanuts, your whole blog is peppered with "articles" that link to products you recommend and which link to the likes of Amazon via an affiliate link - including the cabin bag.

Like the book you enjoyed - amazon affiliate linked

the cabin bag - amazon affiliate linked

Or your clothing blog - which has 3 affiliate links to 3 different clothing sites

Or your health blog - affiliate link to Boots.

Nothing wrong with any of this of course - but IMO writing articles with a view to getting people to purchase via affiliate links makes you an advertiser and not someone who should partake in independent discussions like this.

Advertisement