Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces or veneers?

Options
  • 26-02-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Considering my options right now, I have a small palate and while I had braces as a kid my teeth have all moved again so I have a front tooth which juts out. I have been for orthodontic assessment and will need braces for 2 years plus crowns afterwards, so would veneers be an option instead? My sister got them done and she looks fab, are they just a short term solution?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Every case is different. If your front tooth juts out, it would probably need quite a bit of tooth surface shaved off of it to bring it back into alignment with your other teeth. Also, some teeth may feel "bulkier"; if the veneers are being placed to mask rotations ect.
    Average lifespan of a veneer: 7-10years. Some last less, some longer. But it's not a "once off" cost in the way orthodontics is (assuming you wear your retainers longterm!;))
    Your dentist/prosthodontist could do a "diagnostic wax up" to show you what your teeth would look like....

Advertisement