Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in the algarve?

Options
  • 26-02-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Heading over to the algarve (alvor) for 10 days in may, am half thinking of taking my bike with me, or possibly renting one over there if I can find a reasonable source for a decent road bike.

Has anyone any experience of cycling in this area, any nice routes to recommend? Also if someone has a link to a rental location it would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Some info for you in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

can't believe I didn't even think of searching. doh. don't remember ever seeing that thread before

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

megabikes, based in loule, all the car hire places are agents for them...you will prob pay 100 euros for alluminium bike,

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

hope you're not scared of dogs! but an otherwise great place to cycle, check out the Ecovia do Litoral for a nice flat coastal spin that takes days. Lots of rental spots, many hostels/hotels will have a number to a shop who will bring the bike to you, I wouldn't recommended a pricey road bike rental though, the roads aren't that great, not nearly as good as spains

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I wouldn't recommended a pricey road bike rental though, the roads aren't that great, not nearly as good as spains
    Well it's either a road bike, or nothing, I ain't going training on a hybrid or MTB or something my grandad would have bought from new. So are you saying that it's not worth bringing my road bike over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Well the roads aren't that bad, probably no better or worse than Irelands, the back roads are pretty hairy though. I would defo recommend bringing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Roads are fine, in my (limited) experience. You could always have a look at the route the pros took a few weeks ago to help plan route.

http://www.voltaalgarve.com/

Advertisement