Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Query: pyinstaller

Options
  • 26-02-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Ok, this is a quick and REALLY stupid query.

I am working on a cross platform app in Python (I won't go into details) and want to build executables across platforms for people w/out python installed.

So I figured I could use this: http://www.pyinstaller.org

Now my dev environment is Linux and I do not wish to have to borrow a Windows box to build .exe's, so was wondering did anyone know about how to go about "building for win32/64" using this on a Linux (x86) platform?

Any help or links or abuse is greatly appreciated, am trying to find a fast solution to the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Virtual machine?

Personally I would use Virtualbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Could use a VM, and was tempted to, though I think I will experiment with this for a while to see is it possible. I have had success in the past cross compiling C on Linux for various OS/Arch mixes using GCC, so I see no reason that I cannot cross "Compile" my Python software :)

Will report back with results + details once done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Would be interesting to see how you get on, a VM would be easier and is always an option though.

The only thing with a VM is that you could also test the software after you compile it and make changes as needed but if you code it from cross platform it should work flawlessly cross platform anyway.

Advertisement