Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Producing high quality diagrams, flow charts, schematics etc.

• 26-02-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

Up until now I've just been using paint and the inbuilt tools in Microsoft Office. Is there any LaTeX-ish equivalent for producing high quality smexy diagrams that you guys recommend? :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

PGF/Tikz without a doubt. There's a small bit of a learning curve but it's well worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Red Alert wrote: »
    PGF/Tikz without a doubt. There's a small bit of a learning curve but it's well worth it IMHO.

Thanks a mil, installing it now. :)

This is perfect! :D
    If the mods wish they may close the thread, but I know it's barely lived a day yet.:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Loads of people tend to wonder how to draw diagrams in LaTeX --- I'm only sorry I didn't discover PGF a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I use PSTricks which is very good, but I'm thinking of changing to TikZ for better compatibility with PDF. The code looks a bit easier than PSTricks too!

• Advertisement

It's very very nice stuff. The only problem I have is getting gnuplot to work for it with miktex in windows. I can't seem to get gnuplot.exe recognised. Has anyone experience with this? I'm using TexStudio with Windows Vista SP2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Clinker wrote: »
    I use PSTricks which is very good, but I'm thinking of changing to TikZ for better compatibility with PDF. The code looks a bit easier than PSTricks too!
    I used pstricks for a while but got fed up with having to work around the pdflatex incompatibility - pgf tikz is much, much easier. And it's also compatible with beamer, which is handy for doing "animations" for presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Jernal wrote: »
    It's very very nice stuff. The only problem I have is getting gnuplot to work for it with miktex in windows. I can't seem to get gnuplot.exe recognised. Has anyone experience with this? I'm using TexStudio with Windows Vista SP2.

Perhaps this issue is solved, but a few days ago I started using tikz and to get the GnuPlot interaction working I had to compile the LaTeX document with the "-shell-escape" argument - so that pdflatex could call the external program.

Perhaps this issue is solved, but a few days ago I started using tikz and to get the GnuPlot interaction working I had to compile the LaTeX document with the "-shell-escape" argument - so that pdflatex could call the external program.

Mind if I ask what Operating System you were using? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Sorry, yes, Linux/Ubuntu - presumably it's a little different for Windows.

• Advertisement

Sorry, yes, Linux/Ubuntu - presumably it's a little different for Windows.

Yeah no clue how to do it windows.

I'll still work on it every now and again and if I ever do find the solution to it I'll post it here.
    So you guys won't have to worry about this happening. :)

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48 timbrophy

There is a very nice free app called GeoGebra which can be downloaded from www.geogebra.org It has the advantage that all graphics can be exported as PSTricks or PGF/TikZ. Well worth using.

Advertisement