Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing a bottom bracket

Options
  • 26-02-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Following on from my previous thread, just wondering if you could help me choose the right bottom bracket. First off, I'm not really sure if the bottom bracket is gone. Check out this video.

Next, if it is gone, the current bb is a Shimano Deore Bottom Bracket Set BB51. However as you can see from the Shimano BB it doesn't have the splines to hold the pedals on. So do I actually need a new BB or something else (chain/crankset)? Oh and if I do need a new one, can somebody suggest a better one than the Deore as it didn't barely lasted 5 months of commuting use
    34674.jpg
    20120226152342large.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

but its the crankset that has the splinds not the bearings. and if your bottom bracket is not faced those bearings will only last half the time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

but its the crankset that has the splinds not the bearings. and if your bottom bracket is not faced those bearings will only last half the time.;)
    Yeh i am not sure if my bottom bracket is gone or the bar with the splines in it. Not sure which is worn. Sorry i'm a total amateur.

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh i am not sure if my bottom bracket is gone or the bar with the splines in it. Not sure which is worn. Sorry i'm a total amateur.
    it's more than likely the outer bearings are worn the crankset is fine honest:D just reoplace the outer bearings and everything should be fine.
    if your getting it done in your local bike shop ask them to face the the bottom bracket this will allow the new bearings to sit perfectly flush so no extra movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

it's more than likely the outer bearings are worn the crankset is fine honest:D just reoplace the outer bearings and everything should be fine.
    if your getting it done in your local bike shop ask them to face the the bottom bracket this will allow the new bearings to sit perfectly flush so no extra movement.
    Sorry when you say the outer bearings...do you mean the bottom bracket....also what does facing the bottom bracket mean? I am trying to learn so I can do this myself....Thanks in advance

the bottom bracket shell is where those outer bearings are fitted , getting the b/b shell faced is just gettind a slider of metal off makes for a perfect fit. but you need a bike machanic to do this job.you could fit the bearings yourself not a big job if you go to utube and look for video on fitting b/b you should find one no problem;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement