Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity VS UCD Erasmus/ Year Abroad Links

Options
  • 26-02-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm a Leaving cert interested in BESS/Law and Business in Trinity and Commerce/ Law and Business in UCD... Im trying to make up my mind and was having a look at both college's Erasmus Links but am finding it really hard to decide which are better.

Trinity|'s Economics department has links with HEC in Paris, Science Po and so on but I'm liking UCD's courses a lot 2 and tink Louvain and Melbourne (Australia) would be great for student life!!!! ITS SO HARD 2 MAKE A FINAL DECISION!!

Anyone with Info would be a huge help.. Was lookin into prestige, student life, employers favourties etc. Concentrating on France, Belgium, Australia and so on....

Thanks!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I'm a Leaving cert interested in BESS/Law and Business in Trinity and Commerce/ Law and Business in UCD... Im trying to make up my mind and was having a look at both college's Erasmus Links but am finding it really hard to decide which are better.

Trinity|'s Economics department has links with HEC in Paris, Science Po and so on but I'm liking UCD's courses a lot 2 and tink Louvain and Melbourne (Australia) would be great for student life!!!! ITS SO HARD 2 MAKE A FINAL DECISION!!

Anyone with Info would be a huge help.. Was lookin into prestige, student life, employers favourties etc. Concentrating on France, Belgium, Australia and so on....

Thanks!! :D

Trinity has Melbourne and, I think, Louvain too, just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Louvain is a lousy university in a small Belgian town with no culture whatsoever (it's a planned town that was built in the 60s during Belgium's linguistic quarrels). HEC Paris has been the number 1 ranked graduate business school in Europe for the past 7 years by the Financial Times. Sciences Po is the most selective and prestigious political science school in France if not Europe. They are both located in Paris, which is a pretty fúcking amazing city. You decide.

Disclaimer: I did BESS and spent a year at HEC. You are guaranteed a job in France just by having it on your CV.

BESS Erasmus destinations:

University Country Department
    Dusseldorf Germany Business
    Koblenz Germany Business
    Mannheim Germany Business
    Regensberg Germany Business
    Trier Germany Business
    Innsbruck Austria Business
    Linz Austria Business
    ESCP-EAP Paris France Business
    ESSEC Cergy France Business
    IECS Strasbourg France Business
    ESC Rouen France Business
    Madrid Spain Business
    Alcala Spain Business
    Salamanca Spain Business
    Maastricht Netherlands Business
    Rotterdam Netherlands Business
    Solvay Belgium Business
    Emory USA Business
    Fisher USA Business
    Babson USA Business
    Queens Canada Business
    Senshu Japan Business
    Tongji China Business
    CUHK Hong Kong Business

Louvain Belgium Economics
    IEP Paris France Economics
    HEC Paris France Economics
    Koln Germany Economics
    Tilburg Netherlands Economics
    QUT Brisbane Australia Economics

IEP Paris France Political Science
    Strasbourg France Political Science
    Zurich Switzerland Political Science
    Warsaw Poland Political Science

Munich Germany Sociology
    Copenhagen Denmark Sociology
    Lille France Sociology
    Umea Sweden Sociology
    Prague Czech Republic Sociology
    Helsinki Finland Sociology
    Istanbul Turkey Sociology
    Malta Malta Sociology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

BlueCam wrote: »

Big List

...the fuck am I not doing BESS??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

BlueCam wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I did BESS and spent a year at HEC. You are guaranteed a job in France just by having it on your CV.

Just wondering What it was like living and studying in Paris??

Was it very expensive? Were there many Irish students? Does it matter where you go or will you have a good time in any Study Abroad school?

• Advertisement

Just wondering What it was like living and studying in Paris??

Was it very expensive? Were there many Irish students? Does it matter where you go or will you have a good time in any Study Abroad school?

HEC is a little outside Paris so it was far cheaper for us than for people studying in the centre of Paris - we paid €400 a month for accommodation on campus, of which €200 was refunded in the form of a housing allowance from the French government. So it was basically far cheaper than Dublin. Apartments in Paris itself though are highly expensive - you could be looking at upwards €800 a month for a shoebox-sized apartment.

There are a lot of Irish students in Paris, indeed there is even an "Irish College" which provides accommodation exclusively for Irish students. Paris is an amazing city and whether you're at HEC or elsewhere I'm sure you'll love it.

Of all my friends who went on Erasmus I don't think I met one who didn't enjoy it. Obviously individual experiences will always differ based on the city you're in and the college but I don't think anyone has a "bad" Erasmus. Looks great on your CV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DannyHobbs

Hi I'm in the same boat as you and i was wondering a few things about the HEC.do you have to study certain subjects within bess to apply for the HEC in the fourth year?
    Also is it difficult to get into the course with regards to the numbers that apply to the actual people that get in? And I assume you study through French ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

I'm making a similar decision at the moment; trying to decide between the BCL maîtrise (UCD) which allows for 2 years at the Paris II University and a French qualification, or the Law & French degree at TCD, which can incorporate a year at Sciences Po in Paris.

The good thing about the former, UCD course is that Paris II is considered the most distinguished law school in France and getting a place is pretty much guaranteed as part of the programme; whereas with Law & French at TCD, I'm not sure to what degree you can be sure of a place at Sciences Po?

Anybody have any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

hames wrote: »
    I'm making a similar decision at the moment; trying to decide between the BCL maîtrise (UCD) which allows for 2 years at the Paris II University and a French qualification, or the Law & French degree at TCD, which can incorporate a year at Sciences Po in Paris.

The good thing about the former, UCD course is that Paris II is considered the most distinguished law school in France and getting a place is pretty much guaranteed as part of the programme; whereas with Law & French at TCD, I'm not sure to what degree you can be sure of a place at Sciences Po?

Anybody have any advice?

I would do the french and law in UCD if I choose French when I was picking my subject choices in 1st year. Like with 2 years in France your pretty certain youll be fluent in French and have a good idea of customs and culture. Where as you might not get that in one year. I cant decide at moment where I want to do BESS with German or Law and German in TCD.

Have you spoken to admission in TCD about what the Law and French course in TCD is like???

Advertisement