Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Communications Level 6 - Case Study

Options
  • 26-02-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

Right so anyone who has done a Level 6 FETAC course will have done a Communications module.....I've everything else done for communications...but I'm totally LOST on what to do for the case study, we haven't really been given a brief, just what's on the module descriptor

Weighting 25%
    Format A case study on information flow within an organisation
    familiar to the learner. The case study will provide evidence of
    research and analytical skills, knowledge of communications
    theory, and ability to present information visually. It should be
    word processed, with graphics/diagrams/charts etc.

I have no idea where to even start, she said it should be on an organisation we are familiar with, I'm studying animal care, so I'm doing it on a shelter I used to work at few years back, they're an example of 'bad communication flow' but as I'm currently freaking out and haven't even started I could always choose a different organisation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,262 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I could make some guesses, but Communications is not my subject so I will keep quiet. What does raise some alarm bells though (possibly incorrectly) is the fact that you worked in a place and you are proposing to show that they have poor communication flow.

I think you would be better to look at the project from the point of view of finding out what their communication flow is like. You have a preconceived idea and would possibly bog yourself down trying to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

What raises alarm bells with me is the fact that you have not got a brief - a good quality assurance system should result in comprehensive brief. Be mindful of the fact that you can both appeal the process as well as the result so the fact that the brief is not of sufficient assistance or that you did not get sufficient time or that the QA processes of the college have been breached would give you grounds for appeal.

For the Case Study you should do a comprehensive study of an organisation, its structure, methods of communications and apply the theory of communications to the organisation, etc - have a look at the SLOs in the module descriptor and cover them in the case study. Make sure and make recommendations for improvement and changes.

Do remember that at Level 6 there must be a good deal of analysis and quality writing in terms of language etc.

:o er, yes! When I think of all the briefs I have written...and that point didn't even strike me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

We did get a brief, it just wasn't clear on what areas she wanted. She gave us a bucket load of extra notes today. I emailed her over the weekend at 1am, so first thing 9am she came to find me to calm me down! LOL

Maybe it was just the case of it being a 2 hour class first thing Monday morning, she probably did explain it in more detail another time, but just so many other assignments going around in my head! She is a good teacher, just the brief was a bit sparse, and the listing for it in the module descriptor didn't really shed any extra light on it.

I have nearly everything else done across all the 10 modules I'm doing...I think my mental energy is just wavering ever so slightly! You know when you just hit the wall! writers block almost...and last week was a LOOOOONG week...so over the weekend I think I must have just crashed in my brain without even knowing it, so when I tried to start the case study I panicked!

Incase anyone was curious as to what was making my head explode!

Animal Science L6
    Animal Trading L6
    Communications L6
    Canine Obedience L6
    Large Animal Management L6
    Wild Animal Management L6
    Event Organizing L6
    Humans, Animals & Society L6
    Small Animal Breeds L5
    Setting Up Small Business L5

Lol, there's an awful lot sounds very familiar in that post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

The extra notes she's given me have calmed me down! had a one to one with her about it! I'm one of these silly perfectionists, everyone else will just hash any old thing out, but i wanna get it right :P Hopefully I'll get it done before next week, and have communications done and dusted and I can steal an extra couple of hours of sleep back on a Monday morning...cos I'm fecking running on empty....

Going to slump over my dinner now! just gotta a text...no class tomorrow.....SLEEP! Oh Wonderful Sleep! :D No 6.45 alarm tomorrow!

Advertisement