Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne to Ikea - any shortcuts?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I just moved to Ashbourne from Dub a few weeks ago and now I reached the time where a visit to IKEA is neccessary to fill my new house :rolleyes:

I looked at Bus Eireann's webpage and they gave me the timetable of the 109A, which sure enough brings me from IKEA to Ashbourne in 15 minutes but if I want to go the other way I'd have to get the 109A from Ashbourne to the Airport, then change to the 109A going back & get off at IKEA then, which takes a total of 55 minutes...

Is this really the only way?
    I don't know the area here at all yet so I'm afraid that the bis from Ashbourne to the Airport is passing somewhere I could get off & just walk 5 mins to get to IKEA, or is passing somewhere I could catch a Dublin Bus to bring me there...

Does anyone know of a shorter way by public transport rather then going to the airport & back?

Thanks in advance :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It seems as if the timetable is set so that the bus only does one loop of Airport-DCU-IKEA, probably to reduce journey times than if it had to double-back.

Seems as if the long journey is the only way, as I doubt the driver will drop you off on the Ballymun M50 off-ramp (assuming that the bus takes the M50).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Dublin Bus 140 that goes from IKEA to town does so via Finglas village. The 103 Bus Eireann Ashbourne bus does so too. It doesn't have an official stop in Finglas, but maybe if you ask the driver nicely he will stop for you, and you can get off there and get the 140 to IKEA. If he doesn't, you'll have to stay on until the 103's first official stop at Harts Corner, and pick up the 140 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Having used it many times the 103 to/from Ashbourne frequently stops in Finglas (to drop off on the way to the city and to pick-up on the way out).
    Stops at the bus stops opposite Finglas Place on the Main Road. I've got on/off at Finglas occasionally so can vouch for this. Just ring the bell or tell the driver you want Finglas.

Finglas is a fare stage on the route too (with the Ashbourne-Finglas fare being less than the Ashbourne-City fare).

The 103 will stop on request at all points on route as it is a local route (subject to road safety), this has always been the case but it's not mentioned in the 103 timetable. The timetables for many Bus Éireann local routes only mention some of the stops but really should mention this as Finglas is a key destination that people travel to/from. Same for Coolquay Lodge stop which is quite well used.

Think there's a Bus Éireann plate affixed to one (or maybe both) of these Finglas stops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eehad

thanks guys I will give it a try.
    If I get the timing for the 140 right I bet it will get me there quicker then the 55 minutes it takes by 109A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Theres a guy i have used who will pick up anything you want in ikea and deliver it to your door,for a very reasonable price,you just order it online and he will pick it up, and if you need anything fitted,he can do it too

If you want his number PM me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Eehad wrote: »
    thanks guys I will give it a try.
    If I get the timing for the 140 right I bet it will get me there quicker then the 55 minutes it takes by 109A.

Yep, the 140 runs fairly frequently, so you shouldn't have any problems catching it.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/1402/

Bring some money with you for a taxi home just in case. Getting out of IKEA alive having only bought things that you can easily transport home by bus is a pretty mean feat, especially if you have to get more than one bus home. :D

Advertisement