Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert options?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 1:44am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48

I have another 5 days until I have to hand in the form to apply for LCE, but I have only picked 3 options (not incl. applied maths) and don't know what else to pick. So far I've choses - Physics, Applied Maths, Engineering, DCG. Does anyone have any recommendations for my last option? I was thinking of French but it's not needed for the kind of courses I want to do, and I don't want to do a business subject.
    Also, I didn't do metalwork for JC so will I be able to pick it up for LC and do good?
    EDIT: I chose Geography, no need for any more suggestions, thanks.
    Would still like to know about Engineering though, even though I'll most likely do it anyway because there's nothing else on the list I'm interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Carl1997 wrote: »
    I have another 5 days until I have to hand in the form to apply for LCE, but I have only picked 3 options (not incl. applied maths) and don't know what else to pick. So far I've choses - Physics, Applied Maths, Engineering, DCG. Does anyone have any recommendations for my last option? I was thinking of French but it's not needed for the kind of courses I want to do, and I don't want to do a business subject.
    Also, I didn't do metalwork for JC so will I be able to pick it up for LC and do good?

Firstly regarding options I'd say maybe go for French (just in case) or Chemistry...

Secondly regarding Engineering.. I hear its very hard to take up for the LC without doing Metalwork for the JC. I imagine it's like trying to take up DCG without doing TG.. Which wouldn't be very easy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 Carl1997

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Firstly regarding options I'd say maybe go for French (just in case) or Chemistry...

Secondly regarding Engineering.. I hear its very hard to take up for the LC without doing Metalwork for the JC. I imagine it's like trying to take up DCG without doing TG.. Which wouldn't be very easy.

I would do French but we've had 5 different teachers since 1st year because the first teacher was never in. Now I'm terrible at French and hate it.
    I chose Chemistry as my backup option in case I can't get into one of the other ones.
    I looked at a higher level paper of Engineering and it doesn't look too hard, but I don't know if it is or not and I can't really tell. I'm going to do it anyway because there's nothing else on the list that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I never did any practical subject for JC and took up engineering for leaving cert and got a B1 in it and no reason you wouldn't be able to get an A.
    There is a fair bit of work in Engineering when it comes around to the project, but get working early and try stay on top of the work and it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jimlad

sorry for jumping in,

Can some one explain what applied maths is?

Jimlad wrote: »
    sorry for jumping in,

CHECK THIS LINK FOR INFO: http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/leaving_cert_subjects.php?course_id=3&ed_sub_cat_id=7&menu_parent_id=2&course_name=Applied+Maths&search1=applied+maths&search2=applied

Applied Maths is, as its name suggests, the study of practical applications of mathematics to the real world and physical problems. It is typically associated with engineering and physics, but also finds use in economics, finance, business, environmental studies, and even chemistry and medicine. The Applied Mathematics course at Leaving Certificate would be called 'Theoretical Mechanics' or 'Mathematical Physics' in third level education, and it is one of many branches of the more general field of Applied Mathematics.

The course essentially covers the mathematics behind the behaviour of objects when placed in various situations, such as being thrown as projectiles, bounced off walls or other objects, immersed in fluids, or swung around on a rope. There are 10 questions on the exam paper, each covering one of these topics in detail. However, the exam only requires the student to complete six questions, so it is not uncommon for teachers to focus on six or seven topics, which makes the course and workload more manageable.

The course tends to avoid theory-heavy questions (such as proofs and manipulating formulae) which are found on the Mathematics paper, instead offering practical problems with numerical solutions, such as computing the volume of fluid in a container, or finding the optimal angle to throw a projectile at so that it will travel as far as possible. As a result, Applied Maths is excellent for developing strong problem solving skills, which are very valuable for future employment.

• Advertisement

Jimlad wrote: »
    sorry for jumping in,

If you're good at honours maths, and are choosing physics for LC, it would be good to choose applied maths too as the three can relate to each other.
    I've put it down as one of my choices.
    It's only once a week, after school on Friday.(In my school anyway). But it doesn't count as 1 of your 4 options, so if you're good at maths, and willing to put some work in, you might be able to get some easy points by doing applied maths.

Advertisement