Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed use MTB tyres (85psi +)

Options
  • 24-02-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been trying to find a set of MTB tyres with a slick raised centre & knobbly sides. There are plenty of them for sale, but I have had no luck finding a set which is capable of 85+ psi.

I intend to use them for adventure races which have mixed riding conditions light xc/firetrack/road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Why would want to run MTB tyres at 85psi? 60psi would be more than enough for all your requirements!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

85+ Will mean the tyres are like a rock, you'll feel every bump! Only reason I can think to even run 80psi in the tyres is if you are carrying camping equipment in panniers etc!

XC racers will run from 25 - 35 psi in there tyres just to give you a bit of perspective...!

Try these, which are rated up to 80psi: Specialized Tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

40psi if your hitting a rocky trail... depending on your riding style. Some of the fast lads ride low low psi, but they carry little weight. What races are you aiming at?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's the race I have in mind.
    http://www.scotlandcoasttocoast.com/route.html

There's a pretty long road section, I would ideally like to be able to pump the tyres right up for this & still have a grippy enough tyre for the trails.

Thanks Tenzor, they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Schwalbe Hurricanes will take 70psi but that really means 80psi great tyre too, the gaurds use them after all so they must be good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Thanks everybody, I went for the Hurricanes in the end. As you say Holyboy I should get away with 80psi out of them as the 26" models are rated at 125kg.

Advertisement