Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suicidal and depressed

Options
  • 24-02-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, I hope some one can help. I have a very good friend who is suicidal. He has attempted suicide in the past around 10 years ago. I am worried that he may try it again. He has been to his gp in the past over this issue. She prescribed anti depressents, and he was seen by a psychologist but he said both of these just made him Feel worse. Is there any other options? Wha can I do to help him.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

nessie911 wrote: »
    Hi, I hope some one can help. I have a very good friend who is suicidal. He has attempted suicide in the past around 10 years ago. I am worried that he may try it again. He has been to his gp in the past over this issue. She prescribed anti depressents, and he was seen by a psychologist but he said both of these just made him Feel worse. Is there any other options? Wha can I do to help him.

Hi, well done on being a caring friend. I would say the ONLY good option in the country at the minute is Pieta House, www.pieta.ie, where he can go and stay for two weeks and get intensive counselling and a bit of a break. He can refer himself.

If you go to the gp and say you are feeling suicidal, they will literally not do anything except refer you to a psychiatric hospital, which is the LAST place anyone should go when they are feeling depressed. Grim places. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

Hi, well done on being a caring friend. I would say the ONLY good option in the country at the minute is Pieta House, www.pieta.ie, where he can go and stay for two weeks and get intensive counselling and a bit of a break. He can refer himself.

If you go to the gp and say you are feeling suicidal, they will literally not do anything except refer you to a psychiatric hospital, which is the LAST place anyone should go when they are feeling depressed. Grim places. Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply. I looked up the web address above but all I can see is that there is a clinic which they run in Dublin but we are from thd midlands and would not be able to get to Dublin regulary. You mentioned that he could stay for two weeks. Do they offer that service. I can not see anytin about it.

Thank you for your reply. I looked up the web address above but all I can see is that there is a clinic which they run in Dublin but we are from thd midlands and would not be able to get to Dublin regulary. You mentioned that he could stay for two weeks. Do they offer that service. I can not see anytin about it.

Actually sorry I thought you could stay in, but I think I might have advised you wrongly. I'm not sure, other people on here might know more about it.

There is a good free telephone counselling service that is excellent: 1life suicide prevention 1800 247 100. They will just talk to him.

Few more suggestions:

He could come n here and chat to us on the anxious/depressed board, he can do that anonymously and a lot of people know what he's going through and can support.

There are Aware support groups in Offaly, see link here http://www.aware.ie/help/support_groups_map/#Offaly

Again, he'd be with other people going through the same thing.

There is also an online support group here :http://www.aware.ie/help/online_supports/online_support_groups/

Let him know he's not crazy and alot of people are going through the same thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hi, pieta house really is very good. Free, and its an awfully good service.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hi, pieta house really is very good. Free, and its an awfully good service.

Can you stay in though? Because he can't travel up and down from Offaly. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm afraid not :/ appointments and what not.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm afraid not :/ appointments and what not.

Ok thanks, at least we know now, I wasn't sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, your friend needs to see his gp and take it from there.

midlandsmissus, please stop scaremongering and basically telling people not to seek medical help and advice. nothing wrong with being in a psych hospital if needed, however it may not be needed, the gp can assess and decide.

thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement