Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my bike lock got stolen....

Options
  • 24-02-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

I had my bike up in college today and was bringing it in the car. I would have cycled the whole way in but I was lazy and I needed to be in too early this morning.

Anyway, long story short, after coming back the bike from a friends house I was putting the bike back in the car. I left the lock (Kryptonite evo mini with a noose cable) on the roof of the car and proceeded to load the bike in the car. I was rooting about in the front of the car when I realised the lock was on the roof. Stuck my head out and you've guessed it, the lock was nowhere to be seen. I tore the inside of the car apart incase I had thrown it in but I was dead sure I had left it on the roof - some annoying bollocks had stole it from under my nose. Its not as if the lock is any use, the bloody thing was locked so its as useful as a lead weight.

As I'm poor at the minute but I'm knowledgeable enough to know that cheap locks are not worth the time, but I do not have 60-70 euros to shell out on a new U-Lock. I had an idea, buy a hardened 12-14mm chain somewhere and a good padlock and hopefully it would be cheaper then a new ready to go U lock. Anyone done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I'm just wondering how the hell you got into college!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm just wondering how the hell you got into college!! ;)

I do wonder sometimes myself :D

Again anyone know where I can buy some hardened steel chain? Or is it worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cheap chains, hardened or not, are useless against bolt croppers.

Get a new u-lock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Lock-Bracket/dp/B000AMPRG0/ref=pd_sim_sg_7

Lumen wrote: »
    Cheap chains, hardened or not, are useless against bolt croppers.

Get a new u-lock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Lock-Bracket/dp/B000AMPRG0/ref=pd_sim_sg_7

Well I said not a cheap chain. And you can allegedly get decent crop proof chains.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-pragmasis-protector-chain-master-lock-padlock-10-39837

Question is can I buy a similar chain alone from a steel works or somewhere and a decent padlock for less then 65 quid? I'll need something to wrap around the wheels aswell as they are quick release so a U lock alone is no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BX 19 wrote: »
    Well I said not a cheap chain. And you can allegedly get decent crop proof chains.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-pragmasis-protector-chain-master-lock-padlock-10-39837

Question is can I buy a similar chain alone from a steel works or somewhere and a decent padlock for less then 65 quid? I'll need something to wrap around the wheels aswell as they are quick release so a U lock alone is no use.

Good find. I normally don't rate BikeRadar reviews at all, but they do claim to have tested it with 4ft croppers, and the comments about recent changes in SoldSecure ratings are interesting.

I don't know about sourcing a chain direct, but in my experience chains & locks are always heavier than an equivalently secure u-lock.

You don't need a separate lock for the rear wheel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

...only for the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pretty sure I read on this forum that a lot of the YouTube videos of guys breaking chains with giant croppers are bullsh!t because

1. Giant croppers are very conspicuous
    2. They're also very expensive and using them on hardened chains destroys the blades (so possibly worth it to nick a motorbike, but probably not for a bike)
    3. You have to bring a fat bloke with you to jump on the handle :pac:

loyatemu wrote: »
    pretty sure I read on this forum that a lot of the YouTube videos of guys breaking chains with giant croppers are bullsh!t because

1. Giant croppers are very conspicuous
    2. They're also very expensive and using them on hardened chains destroys the blades (so possibly worth it to nick a motorbike, but probably not for a bike)
    3. You have to bring a fat bloke with you to jump on the handle :pac:

I was talking to my grandad today and he mentioned that his brother ( A then metal fabricator) bought a 4 foot workshop bolt cutter for £120 in 1980. Thats a lot of money even nowadays. They are bloody enormous and expensive pieces of equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭belle2e

what kinda car do u have?

I drive a audi A4,hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

My kryptonite U-lock was 40 quid, iirc. It's pretty good, as far as I know. Kind of the upper end of their middle range.

You don't need something really heavy-duty for the quick-release wheels, do you? Get a decent kryptonite u-lock for 40 quid for the frame, and then some kind of chain lock for the wheels for 20 quid or less. Prollem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Can't you put the u-lock through the rear triangle of the frame and the rear wheel and then take off the front wheel and lock it back there as well?

• Advertisement

Can't you put the u-lock through the rear triangle of the frame and the rear wheel and then take off the front wheel and lock it back there as well?

Forgot about that. Nice one.

Advertisement