Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 films

Options
  • 24-02-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Does anyone know the rationale behind TG4 's relentless pursuit of cowboy films?

I remember when they started ( as Tna G) the films were good and often unusual .

But they have got stuck in a rut of cowboy films ever since (I'd say 10 years and running)

I have no interest in these films but why would they be screening them -I don't notice any other channel showing them really?

Is it to attract children to the station?

Just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Another thing I noticed was they're generally all movies from Warner Brothers. I guess whenever TG4 started up they must have just bought the rights to a bulk of them from WB and are now just trying to get their moneysworth.

Just because you have no interest doesn't mean that others dont. I'm a big fan of westerns and enjoy sitting down now and again when they show one that I haven't seen.

Lots of channels show westerns, TCM show many of the old westerns shows such as Maverick and Rawhide every day amongst others every day so there's obvious an audience for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Maybe they pull in a reasonable audience and don't cost much to acquire?

TG4 have shown Western Series 'The Virginian' (249 Episodes) from start to finish at least once. If they have hit on a cost effective genre it makes sense to continue with it, even if it is not particuarly original programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

cant really add to what you said , all I can say is I agree , nothing wrong with the odd cowboy film , but tg4 do take the mick , my advice is avoid the channel altogether , maybe in another 10 years they will start showing films like "die hard" and "lethal weapon" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Going from most of the people I know who watch them, they're quite popular with the older male demographic, especially in more rural areas.

I think it provides a nice hit of nostalgia, though I often watch them myself, and I don't fall into that demographic yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They're filling a gap in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Friday night is Cowboy night and that's that! Obviously it might have occurred to someone in TG4 that they could ring some changes but I suspect oater "values" and the TG4s core audience are assumed to go hand in hand whereas as say Giallo thrillers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my dad watches these all the time as that is what he grew up with and still loves them and i'd say he is not alone especially in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

They usually give the channel good ratings and they are probably reasonably cheap to buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They did better on the Monday night. TG4 had a good WB contract for programming. Damn Sky and HBO ruining that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone notice that TG4 and TV3 are usually showing the same films now within a month or two of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that TG4 and TV3 are usually showing the same films now within a month or two of each other

Perhaps they're sharing an Xtravision card.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

Just because you have no interest doesn't mean that others dont. I'm a big fan of westerns and enjoy sitting down now and again when they show one that I haven't seen.

Lots of channels show westerns, TCM show many of the old westerns shows such as Maverick and Rawhide every day amongst others every day so there's obvious an audience for them.

point taken.Sorry to have seemed a kill joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I know plenty of people who love to watch the Westerns, so they're filling a gap in the market, which I think is fantastic... I wish more channels would try to stand out from the pack rather than all showing the same old cooking, home renovations, and mindless talent shows...

Also when it comes to original programming TG4 are miles ahead of RTÉ and TV3...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

If it is a choice between that ugly, talentless DLB on the Late Late and a Western on TG4, TG4 must have a very high viewing figure for Friday nights.

Regards...jmcc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yeah TV3's Sunday Movie and TG4's Monday Movie are often the same just months between each other. But if you look at RTÉ Two on occasion you will see similar movies also appearing on that channel. AFAIK TV3, RTÉ and TG4 have a deal for certain packages of movies. E.G. RTÉ Two broadcast the Good German on Thursday Night, TG4 had broadcast it during Christmas. While both TV3 and TG4 love The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. ITV seem to own this package over in the UK.

TG4 seem to have bought the W.C. so I will recommend you watch this movie :)

11:20 next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

western an luain!! ha ha do they still do that

ciarang85 wrote: »
    western an luain!! ha ha do they still do that

De Aoine anois. Suppose it makes sense with the comeback of Westerns over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Elmo wrote: »
    TG4 seem to have bought the W.C. so I will recommend you watch this movie :)

11:20 next Wednesday.

Sounds good. Thanks.
    ‘W.C.’ is a quirky drama set in and around the toilets of a Dublin jazz bar. It follows a day in the life of two toilet attendants - Jack (Liam O Mochain), an Irish man who has recently been released from prison and Katya (Julia Wakeham), a Russian girl who has come to Ireland to find a better life. As Jack and Katya deal with argumentative customers, an interfering bar manager and an inept thief, they form an unlikely friendship with one another in the last place one would expect – the toilets. ‘W.C.’ won the Best Foreign Film award at Las Vegas International Film Festival. The film also won the Best Feature Film award at Waterford Film Festival in Ireland and the Silver Palm for best film at Mexico International Film festival.
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4282663&tpl=archnews&force=1

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I vaguely remembering seeing W.C. before and it was fairly good. I'd watch it again next week but ill be in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

my dad watches these all the time as that is what he grew up with and still loves them and i'd say he is not alone especially in Ireland

Exactly the same with my Dad. I think this is the market TG4 are aiming for.

Advertisement