Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dealing with the IFB's First Draft Scheme?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 3:56pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I ran google searches for discussions of the Irish Film Board's First Draft Loan scheme, but I've not had much luck on finding anything.

I'm prepapring a submission to them for a screenplay based on a novel I wrote. I had a screenwriting lecturer help me prepare a submission a few years back, so I'm formatting it in the same way again, but I'd love to know if there's any articles or blogs or anything which discusses the submission process. I know basically what they want, but I cannot help but feel certain aspects of the process would be difficult for people without the help to understand.

For example, writer's notes have always been something I felt I could use more help on. I know it's meant to detail some of the problems you see with the submission yourself, what you would like to achieve and so forth, but I've always been vauge on exactly what they are looking for.

So does anyone have any links to places which would provide discussion of the submission process? One would think, given the nature of the scheme, it would be a good starting point for budding screenwriters....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Writer's notes shouldn't really address problems you have identified with your submission. The First draft Loan scheme is incredibly competitive and getting more so. I have a good relationship with the IFB but have yet to get an award [three applications] Each time for various reasons. EG: I won the Galway Film Fleadh Pitching Award with an idea about a man bringing the body of a dead girl home... But they [The IFB] had recently funded - Eternal Love - which has a central theme similar to mine. So first thing I'd say is don't give them reasons to turn you down... they'll have plenty of their own.

What I believe they want to see in the writer's notes is your vision. What inspired you to write the story in the first place. Who you think the audience is for the film. Why now? What sets it apart from other stories. What are your influences.

Logline - Much more important than you think. Google Logline and you'll find plenty of advice on how to do them. I personally think it's an art in itself.

Finally production values.
    Be realistic about your story. If you have no track record as a writer you can't expect funding for a film that would have a $40million budget. Money is tight so special effects and epics are less likely to succeed than small cast intimate films with realistic budgets.

If your novel was published perhaps provide reviews for your novel as supporting material.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Logline - Much more important than you think. Google Logline and you'll find plenty of advice on how to do them. I personally think it's an art in itself.

The OP probably had the same screenwriting tutor as me, in which case he/she will have had plenty of very good guidance on this sort of thing already.

Just out of curiosity, what's the situation with having to pay back the loan? You have to pay it back if your screenplay goes into production, right? Is it possible for a writer to strike it lucky and see their script entering production, only to be lumbered with an onerous repayment schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

The production company would pay it back. It would come out of the writer's wage as such... but that would be a deal struck between the writer, IFB and production company. It would not be onerous to the writer.

Advertisement