Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmation - Dove

Options
  • 24-02-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

What's the symbolism of the Dove (worn on a chain or rosette by those making their confirmation)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

It symbolizes the bestowing of the Holy Spirit on the person.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church: 1316 Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 La Petite Fleur

The dove is a symbol of The Holy Spirit.

John 1 : 32-34

Then John [The Baptist] gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptise with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptise with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.”

pentecost2.jpg

Advertisement