Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Tracking Security

Options
  • 24-02-2012 12:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I recently installed an extension into my three main browsers, Safari, Chrome & FireFox and was shocked to be informed that up to 37 companies at a time were tracking my browsing and accumulating "marketing" information about my on-line habits, sites visited and preferences / choices once "on" a site.

The company producing the browser extension claims that this is where spam / junk mail originates based on the intelligence gathered about me. This makes sense apart from the gambling spammers as I've never used a gambling site but maybe it's because I've been "observed" using a credit-card online.

I have no connection with the company or the software other than as a user and at this stage I won;t even mention them.

Any thoughts - have I just gone from having 37 trackers at a time following me or is it possible I've just enabled one mega-tracker instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Anything is 'possible' whether it's likely is another thing.
    Personally, I use 'trusted' extensions, like Adblock & NoScript and disable third party cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I use Adblock, NoScript, Ghostery(without cookie control) and a cookie control addon which enables me to allow cookies on a temporary basis by site, the default being deny.

I also clear all history and cookies on exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

NoScript and Ghostery solve *most* issues, and I am going to be adding a project to my site on configuring Opera to see no ads, cookies, etc, based on a friends work (he sees no ads whatsoever, not even the ones on Youtube, etc).

mathepac: Please name this extension of yours?

Query: gerryk are you the same guy who was down at 091 labs a couple times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

infodox wrote: »
    Query: gerryk are you the same guy who was down at 091 labs a couple times?

yup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

DNT+ (free) from this outfit http://www.abine.com/

I've no affiliation with them or their products other than using DNT+ for the last few days.

I'd be interested in hearing about similar extensions for Opera, Omni, iCab etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

infodox wrote:
    NoScript and Ghostery solve *most* issues, and I am going to be adding a project to my site on configuring Opera to see no ads, cookies, etc, based on a friends work (he sees no ads whatsoever, not even the ones on Youtube, etc).
    I agree about NO SCRIPT!!!!!!!

I run MyIE2 and i usually ALWAYS HAVE SCRIPTING DISABLED! (Stuff loads MUCH FASTER)

Advertisement