Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast SD Card Adaptor

Options
  • 24-02-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

Myself and a work colleague have ordered some of these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DIY-SD-SDHC-Card-Reader-SEGA-DC-Dreamcast-XCKDIY-/320854663947?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4ab46da30b

You can rip your GD-Roms to them and play the games straight from the card or run any kind of homebrew from the device once you boot up with one particular disc.

I can't wait for it to arrive as it'll be nice having 10 / 20 games or so at my fingertips to play whenever I like.

The only problem with them so far is the fact that they don't seem to stream CDDA audio very well so anything that streams off the disc as an audio file can sometimes become broken and distorted due to the transfer rate of the serial port.

I know homebrew versions of these have been available for a while but this seems to be the only 'clean' one I have seen so far with everything houses on the one simple looking board.

What do you guys think?

I might post up a video of mine working when I eventually receive it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I bought one of these last year (was very excited about loading Dreamcast games from an SD card) and sadly found game compatibility to be extremely low. :(

In the end, I think I may have only gotten something like two games to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    I bought one of these last year (was very excited about loading Dreamcast games from an SD card) and sadly found game compatibility to be extremely low. :(

In the end, I think I may have only gotten something like two games to work.

Apparently the software has gotten much better since then especially when you're running a rip of your own GD Roms and not some dodgy mil-cd backup (cough cough).

The loader disc has also had many improvements since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

That's pretty tempting. Is there a usb version by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

griffdaddy wrote: »
    That's pretty tempting. Is there a usb version by any chance?

Dreamcast doesn't have USB port. Maybe you meant flash cart? The work is in progress but it is long way...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Sorry, should've been clearer. I actually meant is there a serial to usb version? So instead of an sd card you stick in a usb stick or (powered) hard drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Sorry, should've been clearer. I actually meant is there a serial to usb version? So instead of an sd card you stick in a usb stick or (powered) hard drive?

no such a thing yet. Someone was working on CF version, but I think he/she failed doing one

Advertisement